We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What can I grow in these beds, please?

Options
Craftyscholar
Craftyscholar Posts: 3,403 Forumite
edited 4 September 2010 at 9:02AM in Gardening
OK I know the reply will be 'what do you want to eat':)

I have two beds
1. North facing backed by garage wall 9' long 3' deep
2. East facing 12' long 3'8" deep backed by 'open-block' wall
so neither of them ideal I know.

I would love to grow my own peas, possibly beans, maybe some soft fruit.
Only growing for one so I could grow small quantities of several things

I have been given a blackcurrant cutting - still in its pot so need to pick a good spot for it.

Any advice gratefully received,

Comments

• pennyshahin_2
    Options
    Hi I'm a newbie gardener but why don't you plant some winter lettuce I bought some from ebay and have planted it in a sunny spot ,I will cover it with a cloche in october, or perhaps you could plant garlic-I think that nows a good time and winter onions as well it's about the right time for them as well .
  • Craftyscholar
    Options
    Thanks, pennyshahin.

I'm still looking for advice about where to plant the blackcurrant, please.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The blackcurrant ideally wants to be in full sun, but partial shade is OK as well, so I guess that would be your east facing bed then.

Peas and beans will do OK in a North facing bed in the summer, but you should wait until the sun is on it really. If you grow climbing french beans, probably one wigwam of 6 or 8 plants should be enough for yourself.
    Peas, you can fill the rest of the beds with and still only just have enough, although you will have huge gluts and will need to have a freezer.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure