Fish and pregnancy

Options
Bit of an odd one I know but after reading all the evidence that would apparently indicate the numerous benefits for the unborn child of eating oily fish whilst pregnant, I always told my husband I would - as a life long vegetarian!

Now it has come down to it and we are trying to conceive I just don't think I can bring myself to do it. Opinions please?

Comments

• Biddyrolo
    Options
    Well as you can get omega 3 and 6 from sources other than oily fish go for those if you vcan't face eating fish. (I used to get told off by the midwives for not eating liver, turns out I was right lol)
  • hampshirebabe
    Options
    Its weird that you read so much about how helpful oily fish is, and yet they also say you shouldn't have too much, once or twice a week is plenty. I eat salmon occasionaly, and occasionaly eat tinned tuna, but thats about it for me, so I decided to take an omega 3 supplement, (you can get vegetarian omega 3, but make sure its suitable for pregnacy) I have sonategen pronatel plus omega 3. I have a fairly balanced diet, but I completely went off fruit and veg at about 3 months pregnant, so wanted to be sure I was getting enough vitamins, and make sure your taking your folic acid, they say it takes 3 months to get into your system properly.
    Good luck with it all, have fun with the trying!
    Mary
    Mary
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Eat well, be well - When you're pregnant
    Eat well, be well - Fish and shellfish
    Eat well, be well - Pregnancy

The above links contain the official Food Standards Agency advice.
    You need to be aware that DHA an omega 3 fatty acid is Essential for Brain Developement and these are the consequences of deficits

As DHA can be metabolised from EPA and EPA can be metabolised from ALA strict vegetarians can manage to produce non DHA deficient offspring however it is an inefficient process and only 10% of the original ALA may end up as DHA. I often (probably at the risk of boring regular readers) suggest you buy a bulk bag of LINSEED (SUMA BROWN 5kg £5.75) keep this in a plastic (mouse proof) container and every week grind a potful to keep in the fridge. Unground it will keep a couple of years. Ground it starts to deteriorate. Adding a tablespoon of ground linseed meal to your cereal, baking, stews, salads, veg etc will enable you to easily get a fair bit of ALA during the day But if you were my daughter I be happier if you also had a couple of portions of sardines in tomato sauce, mackerel, herring, wild salmon a week. The increase in ADHD, behaviour problems and mental illness in children isn't worth riskng IMO and so while I'm pleased to eat veggie food most days of the week I do think during pregnancy it's better, for the sake of ensuring the maximum potential for brain development for plenty of DHA to be readily available to the growing child.

While you are considering the need for Omega 3 during Pregnancy and Lactation also reconsider you Vitamin D3 requirements.
    Assessment of dietary vitamin D requirements during pregnancy and lactation

BIO–TECH Pharmacal Inc.The best source for Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol.

It's not just for maximum Brain Development that Vit D is needed Effects of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 and 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 on Cytokine Production by Human Decidual Cells.shows it also regulates both acquired and innate immune responses at the fetal-maternal interface.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    You should watch your oily fish intake during pregnancy, as their oils lock in certain chemicals (called dioxins and PCB). I think the FSA and Government suggest no more than 2 portions of oily fish a day...

You should totally avoid Marlin, swordfish and shark, and limit intake of non-canned tuna as these mop up mercury, which is not a good thing for a developing foetus...

You should avoid supplements too - risk of Vitamin A toxicity to developing foetus.

Edit:http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/nutritionessentials/fishandshellfish/#cat232547
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • andycarmi
    andycarmi Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    I M veggi too. Have been for 20 years. Just had a lovely baby girl. 10lbs.

Didn't eat any fish or meat. Ate lots of lentals, chick peas and bean curd.
    I wouldn't worry it you can't eat it. Ask your midwife or GP.

CONCRATULATIONS.
  • scholt
    scholt Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Eat well, be well - When you're pregnant
    Eat well, be well - Fish and shellfish
    Eat well, be well - Pregnancy

The above links contain the official Food Standards Agency advice.
    You need to be aware that DHA an omega 3 fatty acid is Essential for Brain Developement and these are the consequences of deficits

As DHA can be metabolised from EPA and EPA can be metabolised from ALA that strict vegetarians can manage to produce non DLA deficient offspring however it is an inefficient process and only 10% of the original ALA may end up as DHA. I often (probably at the risk of boring regular readers) suggest you buy a bulk bag of LINSEED (SUMA BROWN 5kg £5.75) keep this in a plastic (mouse proof) container and every week grind a potful to keep in the fridge. Unground it will keep a couple of years. Ground it starts to deteriorate. Adding a tablespoon of ground linseed meal to your cereal, baking, stews, salads, veg etc will enable you to easily get a fair bit of ALA during the day But if you were my daughter I be happier if you also had a couple of portions of sardines in tomato sauce, mackerel, herring, wild salmon a week. The increase in ADHD, behaviour problems and mental illness in children isn't worth riskng IMO and so while I'm pleased to eat veggie food most days of the week I do think during pregnancy it's better, for the sake of ensuring the maximum potential for brain development for plenty of DHA to be readily available to the growing child.

While you are considering the need for Omega 3 during Pregnancy and Lactation also reconsider you Vitamin D3 requirements.
    Assessment of dietary vitamin D requirements during pregnancy and lactation

BIO–TECH Pharmacal Inc.The best source for Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol.

Thanks Ted, and others for the usefull advice and links. I think it is a really wise thing to do when it boils down to it, and even though it feels a little like 'casting my ethics aside' I am lucky enough to live to live close to a fish mongers who is well famed for his sustainable practises, which of course I shall adhere to.

Hi Mary - yes I have been taking the recommended supp of folic acid each day and am also lucky enough to be a marmite and brocolli feind - not together of course! haha
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    Are nuts/plant oils a safer source of omega 3 fatty acids than fish, given the motion of contaminants up the food chain.
    Can heat involved in processing/cooking the sources of these oils change their merits ?
    J_B.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    andycarmi wrote:
    Ate lots of lentals, chick peas and bean curd.
    Lentils
    Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
    Tofu

If you check the omega 3 content of the above links you will see how you may easily have put your daughter brain development in jeopardy by limiting the amounts of omega 3 available.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Joe_Bloggs wrote:
    Are nuts/plant oils a safer source of omega 3 fatty acids than fish, given the motion of contaminants up the food chain. .
    The FSA have very carefully and thoroughly considered this matter and their advice is based on this recent reassessment of the situation. Because their opinion is that the levels of pollution are low and the benefits of increased omega 3 so great it is best to eat fish but in limited quantities. As has been pointed out the smaller surface swimming fish are less likely to accumulate contaminants so are much safer to eat than the bottom dwelling older larger fish.
    Joe_Bloggs wrote:
    Can heat involved in processing/cooking the sources of these oils change their merits ? J_B.
    Tinned sardines preserved in brine or tomato sauce certainly contain plenty of omega 3 (just over 2g in a 125g netto's 18p tin) and grilled herring will retain plenty of omega 3, I was under the impression that cooking lowered the omega status of linseed but a recent article in an article for professional bakers has shown that providing the cooking isn't too long or too hot the benefits of linseed meal will still be there in the finished item. So I don't think you need to worry on either count.
    As there are other nutritional advantages to eating Flaxseedslinseed meal, I would suggest that is the MSE way to go rather than paying extra for less benefit by buying the oil.

Our results support the hypothesis that frequent consumption of fatty fish may lower the risk of RCC possibly due to increased intake of fish oil rich in eicosapentae acid as well as vitamin D,
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Options
    Any advice would depend upon why you are a vegetarian. I don’t doubt that even vegans could have healthy children but they have to be aware of what they combine. If the evidence is there for the consequences of failing to have adequate levels of certain nutrients you would be have ask yourself if the health of a few fish come before the health of your unborn child.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure