cost of running tumbledryer

Options
klare_2
klare_2 Posts: 281 Forumite
I have already got one post runnig about dishwashers, but it has got me thinking about our tumbledryer.
we have a condenser dryer which goes on everyday.
I have a constant battle on with OH because he hates the feel of things left on the line and refuses to even meet me half way and finish them off in the dryer.
I reckon if I could prove to him how much it costs to run that dryer every day it would make a difference to his attitude.

Not sure how it would work practically for us to line dry everyday as I have two babys that I struggle to keep up with clothes wise.

we are currently paying £60 a month on our electric, we need to move from powergen but I just wonder how much lower it would go with the tumble dryer out of the usage equation.:rolleyes:

Thanks
:EasterBun ...what more do I need to say?!
its all in the name of medical science.

Comments

• leni
    leni Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    try looking at this calculator - http://www.ukpower.co.uk/running-costs-elec.asp

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j
  • klare_2
    Options
    thanks for that... only trouble is once they start asking for amps watts etc my head starts to hurt! I even measure distance in the car by ' how many songs does it take to get there'! Pathetic i know. I just wondered if anyone had a rough calculation. Proberbly a daft question i am now wondering.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    That calculator says a tumble drier only uses 240w which is about a tenth of what most use!
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    In this leaflet the Institute of Electrical Engineers say it takes 2.5kWh to dry a full load of cotton washing.

If you assume 1 kWh costs about 10p then that's 25p a load
  • klare_2
    Options
    thanks for that, guess thats not too bad except for when you start to tot it up over a month .... yikes thats over 7 quid and thats only assuming that we run it once a day. think I have done about 4 loads today! no wonder our electric bill is so flipping high!:eek:
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are a family of five and I keep our TD running costs down by drying everything outside on the airer during the summer months and during the winter only running it on off-peak electricity, only using it for thick items like towels and jeans and all lightweight cottons and synthetics are dried inside on the airer.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    In this leaflet the Institute of Electrical Engineers say it takes 2.5kWh to dry a full load of cotton washing.

If you assume 1 kWh costs about 10p then that's 25p a load

Although accurate, that is a worse case scenario - a full load of cotton and I think they use a W/M with a 600rpm spin.

My machine typically uses 1-1.5kWh.
  • johnofhertford
    Options
    Tell him he's polluting the planet and the earth will be burnt to a crisp by the time your children are pensioners. That should do the trick. Well, maybe.
  • sammyy
    sammyy Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    When I was using my condenser dryer to dry everything for a family of 5 I was using about 26 units a day.Now I never use it it has gone down to about 17-18 units a day.Going bt Ebico prices for my region ie.Eastern that works out to about £5.20 per week which over the course of a year is about £270 to dry the washing!!!:eek:
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am currently on a pre-pay meter for my lecky,until i get my meters changed in 2 weeks.I looked at my meter before using my tumble drier,which is not a condenser drier just a normal one?? And it took 60p off my credit when I did one load of drying which was on for 60 mins.

Pre-pay meters do cost more than having a normal lecky bill plus I did have the usual lecky things running aswell.

Probably not much helpful information but at least you know it`ll be less than 60p per load.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport