Forum Home » Mortgage-Free Wannabe

Our attempt at being MF!! - Page 237

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Our attempt at being MF!!

edited 20 February at 11:35AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.5K replies 496K views

Replies

• edited 27 April 2015 at 8:37AM
    CathTCathT Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2015 at 8:37AM
    Thanks Al, managed to fit lots in. I took children to swimming lessons whilst DH went to work for a few hours (needs to leave work this morning to drop car off at garage). I have given him the credit card and hoped for the best! :D

I was really impressed with dd swimming lesson, we pay a bit extra for her lessons but the teaching is excellent. She has only been having lessons for a year but yesterday learned to move her head for a breath when doing front crawl. Also realised both the children need new goggles so I will buy them on friday when DH gets paid.

Sorted out washing then a bit of tidying, am still not brave enough to tackle the playroom. :eek: washed the ground floor windows amd doors at back of the house and it looks so much better. Hot soapy water works wonders! Watered plants too which I get a bit forgetful about.

Managed to go for a free swim, have free day passes but the attendant didn't take it off me despite me waving it at him! I swam for a solid hour, took the odd 10 second rest and did 82 lengths in that hour. Really really pleased. Was hoping it we'd improve my stamina for running. Weighed myself this morning and I've put on loads of weight over weekend! Think I may stop Monday weigh ins or weighing myself at all!

Hoping for a few NSD until Friday now :D
    May 2020 - part 1 - £61,973 part 2 - £40,326
    Total - £102,299 90 months to go!
  • CathTCathT Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Car went into the garage. Cost £45 more than thought and when DH drove it away it was still making the noise. DH had to take it back and it's going in again later this week. They said they will sort it so hopefully that means free of charge! Plumber called to assess various leaks and is calling later this week. Hoping it's just washers and valves that are needed so won't be too costly and can offset what I have budgeted to go towards car costs.

Made a 21p Tilly tidy. That is my maximum mortgage effort for the day! Work has sapped my energy completely!
  • CathTCathT Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Car going back to the garage this morning, I do hope it's free! My car was warning me to check oil but all seems ok. Just need to buy some decent oil on Friday. Working further away the next few days so need a roadworthy car!

Seemed to have a terrible day financially yesterday! Got overcharged in a corner shop which I thought I had sorted out at the time. Looked at my receipt at home and I had also been charged £1.50 for a paper I didn't have or want!

Then got my payslip and that's all incorrect so needs chasing up which is complicated by the fact I don't currently have a line manager.

Then....DH revealed he had spoken to HR who said he is not getting a payrise. I was in a delightful frame of mind after all that!

Hoping to solve some issues today especially around my pay.
  • newgirlynewgirly Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear , not a great day financially!
    MFW 38

2020 £8,316.54 / £18,000
  • edited 29 April 2015 at 7:18AM
    CathTCathT Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2015 at 7:18AM
    How did I forget the dreaded nursery bill?

Hoping all of this can offset by our reduced food spends over the last few weeks. Am hoping the voucher is in the paper this week for @ldi. Mr S have offered us a few till spits but the dates on them are always really short.
    Payday for DH Friday, be nice to start the month with an extra OP.

Also think we have decided to extend the house instead of moving as well. This debate has been going on for at least 5 years!

Will post more about our decision later.
  • CathTCathT Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Newgirly just saw your post. You know one of those days where you just can't face any more negative news! Hope things getting sorted with the business?

Got a fab day training today so hoping being away from the office which is stressful currently will help me to collect my thoughts and stop stress eating!
  • newgirlynewgirly Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi cath, business stuff not sorted yet. I think the aldi voucher was last week in the mirror? I didn't get it so I could be wrong!
    MFW 38

2020 £8,316.54 / £18,000
  • CathTCathT Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks NG, thought it may have been last week. Had a £7.50 off £50 till spit again for Mr S so DH going to do food shop tomorrow. One of the perks of him finishing early is that I seem to have got away with doing it! :D

Car sorted and no extra costs incurred which was a relief. Plumber has also done various repairs and *only* charging £80 so I had budgeted enough. Didn't have quite as much left as I hoped but did an 89p Tilly tidy and paid an extra £6 off cc so all going in the right direction.

Having a super busy week and tbh feel like my feet haven't touched the ground. Thank goodness for a bank holiday weekend fast approaching although DH tells he is working all of it!

Another busy day planned tomorrow but will be one step closer to the weekend :j
  • edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    11.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really impressed with dd swimming lesson, we pay a bit extra for her lessons but the teaching is excellent. She has only been having lessons for a year but yesterday learned to move her head for a breath when doing front crawl.

May I ask how early children can get swimming lessons? I'm a weak swimmer, Mrs E is a non-swimmer, so vital that daughter learns! :)
  • CathTCathT Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    DS started at 3 1/4 but they are available much earlier. I think we have timed his lessons well but I wish I had taken him swimming as a baby to improve his initial confidence.