Boiler Service

Options
Does anyone know which company is best to go with for a boiler service?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    There are dozens of posts on this if you do a search.

BG have the main one - some love em - some hate em!!

I think you will find that there isn't a decent alternative, unless you can find a honest reliable local plumber, who will turn out weekends etc. Not many of us can.

Others say don't bother and put aside the money and then pay as required if you get a breakdown.

None of them are good value - you are just paying for insurance!!!!
  • smudger1964
    Options
    Probably the best bet for a choice would be to ask your friends or neighbours who they use and go for personal recommendation.This is what I did at a previous house I lived in .Obviously you could go trough the yellow pages but you are taking pot luck ,talking to friends and work colleagues would give you an idea of their experiences both good and bad and help you decide
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi Duck, I have opted for a service check every other year, and will buy gas detectors as insurance. Tried to get a competative quote. it seems the whole town is shared out amongst two or three plumbers. Same price.£50
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ken68 wrote:
    Hi Duck, I have opted for a service check every other year, and will buy gas detectors as insurance.

Aldi are selling carbon monoxide alarms at the moment. Corgi approved with 5 year warranty.

;)
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • johnofhertford
    Options
    I found a local plumber in Yellow Pages - his advert was part of a small ad one of the Institutes - tend to steer clear of the big one page ads which tend to be agencies.
  • pinkparrott
    Options
    Hi I am new on this site but just wanted to add, I had my bolier serviced last week and it cost £45. However i was pleased to pay this as was it was done by a reliable local plumber who had taken radiators off for me when decorating and fixed asmall leek all for free so want to keep in his good books!
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • Ken68
    Options
    Still looking for a definitive list of things they do. A job sheet or recommended Corgi schedule, with boxes to tick orf so I know they have covered all the angles.So I know they have earnt the money.
    But £50 for just LOOKING and smelling for gas and a bit of hoovering, is not my idea of a service. Half and hour it takes my plumber. Time for a bit of competition from the Polish plumbers.
  • johnofhertford
    Options
    Every time my plumber services my boiler or gas fire he leaves me with a signed service checklist (burner/injector, heat exchanger, ignition, electrics, controls etc.) marked with CORGI logo at the top, which lists all the appliance and safety checks that he's done together with any comments or remedial actions undertaken. On the reverse there are descriptions of what each of the checks involves.

You should get a certificate of the service. When I was selling my house recently I was asked for documentation of the last boiler service.
  • Ken68
    Options
    Perhaps have misjudged my plumber, johnofhertford, told him last year didn't need a certificate, thinking it might be cheaper without.
    Just looked at my neighbour's certificate, do they pay Corgi a cut from each service do you know ??
  • johnofhertford
    Options
    Don't know Ken, but I wouldn't think so. I know there is an annual fee to be paid when renewing CORGI registration, so I'm guessing the forms all come as part of the sub, but I may be wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure