reclaiming off mortgage and home owner loan?

hi ive had a hsbc mortgage with ppi running for about 7 years and another loan with nemo finance which has been running 2 years with ppi+critical illness built in to the same payment.

as these are still running can i just ask to cancel my ppi and ask for a refund for what i have paid over the years?

im probably reading wrong but all the advice seems to be for completed loans?

thanks in advance

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    as these are still running can i just ask to cancel my ppi and ask for a refund for what i have paid over the years?

No.

Like all monthly premium insurances, they have covered you whilst you have been paying. If you could complain and get the premiums back if you havent had a claim then insurance wouldnt work. The whole point is that the money is pooled and pays out for those that do claim.
    im probably reading wrong but all the advice seems to be for completed loans?

Where they are mis-sold, yes. Where they are not mis-sold, no.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 September 2010 at 12:17AM
    Only if the PPI was mis-sold can you reclaim the PPI premiums you have paid with interest and the PPI will thereby be cancelled if it is still in force.

There are some provisos where the PPI has been in force for more than six years. You should read the MSE PPI Reclaiming Guide for more information.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure