Insurance applications

Options
Why does an insurance company need to know if you are married, single, divorced etc when applying for cover?

It is really relevant?
Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why does an insurance company need to know if you are married, single, divorced etc when applying for cover?

It is really relevant?

It is just part of risk assessment. They are not going to supply your info to dating websites.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • I_know_my_ABC_and_my_CMYK
    Options
    huckster wrote: »
    It is just part of risk assessment. They are not going to supply your info to dating websites.
    :T:rotfl:

Thanks for the reply
    Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
    It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
    I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p
  • Savvy_Spender_South
    Options
    If you have a significant other ie partner, you are less likely to take risks inluding drive crazy and lifestyle choices. they view not mine!

If you take out car insurance, name a 2nd driver, even a close friend or neighbour as a partner for a 5% reduction in quote.
    Marry a Foreigner, its so much cheaper!
  • huckster
    Options
    If you have a significant other ie partner, you are less likely to take risks inluding drive crazy and lifestyle choices. they view not mine!

If you take out car insurance, name a 2nd driver, even a close friend or neighbour as a partner for a 5% reduction in quote.

But what about swingers parties and the throwing of ornaments when there are rows between husband/wife.

Also backseat drivers and kids in the car, can be very distracting. This must cause accidents.

This must outweigh the risk associated with single home owners/car owners.

Whenever, I have been involved in any risk ratings, I find that a lot of very simplistic assumptions are made. Insurers have to do this with some statistics, as otherwise it just gets too complicated i.e too many variables.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • StephenMarsh
    Options
    Why does it need to be over complicated

more single people claim than married people ?
  • huckster
    Options
    Yes, you have a point, the stats may show that indeed singles make more claims.

But I think age of the proposer/policyholder is a much larger factor these days. I think most people will recall their parents saying that they have had Insurance for over 30 years and never made a claim. Whereas I think younger generations are much more clued up about what they can claim for, without necessarily always having the commonsense to think of the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure