passport charges

just been made aware that women are charged for changing to their married names??? so much for encouraging the family values and women s equality!!!

Comments

• darkblue_2
    darkblue_2 Posts: 676 Forumite
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Howtochangethenameonyourpassport/DG_174166
    Guidance and advice on how to do it.

Indeed, it does seem unfair. But on the other hand, you are essentially requiring a new passport and the cost of the passport is the same for everyone.

You say that you are annoyed about it due to woman equality. Technically you do not have to change your name when getting married...
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's not complusory to change your passport when you get married, it's a choice you make, you can leave it until it's due to be renewed, so not really against family values or equality.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    just been made aware that women are charged for changing to their married names??? so much for encouraging the family values and women s equality!!!

Surely women s equality would be allowing a woman to keep her own name when she marries?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • darkblue_2
    darkblue_2 Posts: 676 Forumite
    It's not complusory to change your passport when you get married, it's a choice you make, you can leave it until it's due to be renewed, so not really against family values or equality.

It's actually a legal requirement to inform IPS of a name change on a passport...
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Surely women s equality would be allowing a woman to keep her own name when she marries?

And to retire at the same age as men...(that's men in the UK not France)
  • dmg24 wrote: »

A woman is allowed to keep her own name when she gets married.. the same as the man can change his name. If you make the choice to change your name then you make the choice to accept any costs that come with it.
  • dmg24
    Heliflyguy wrote: »
    And to retire at the same age as men...(that's men in the UK not France)

Yep, absolutely - I really don't like it when women only shout 'equality' when it suits them (and I am a woman!).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dmg24
    Jacquiesce wrote: »
    A woman is allowed to keep her own name when she gets married.. the same as the man can change his name. If you make the choice to change your name then you make the choice to accept any costs that come with it.

I did not say they were not allowed to - I was responding to the OP's statement which implied a woman had no choice.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,031
    Forumite
    why would a married woman need a passport surely she would be to busy doing her wife like duties to worry about holidays?

I'll get my coat!!!!!
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Forumite
    darkblue wrote: »
    It's actually a legal requirement to inform IPS of a name change on a passport...

Only if you change it on all your official documents. There's absolutely nothing wrong in keeping everything in your maiden name until you change your passport. As the IPS is the only one who charges it would be MSE to wait until your passport needs renewing then changing everything else official after.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure