Problems taking up carpet glued to concrete floor

Options
I’m having massive problems taking up the carpet from my new build that was directly glued to the concrete floor! I’m using a bolster chisel to try and pry it up but its stuck so hard it will take me weeks to remove it from my small 1 bed flat.

Surely there must be an easier way? Chemical or technique that I can use to do this quicker/easier?

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    What about using a shovel , sharpen the edge.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You have my sympathies, been there done that, horrible job !

I had some limited success using a hot air paint stripper to warm and soften the glue, I managed to remove it but it was very sticky and messy and kept gunging up my chisel.

The other option you might try - ask at a carpet shop, I would think there must be a solvent available specifically for carpet adhesive. I don't know, only a guess, but it may be worth a try .....
  • hazybubbles
    Options
    someone asked this exact question here
  • jgallcash
    jgallcash Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cutting into strips is working and tearing up.

Ripping up leaves some of the felt backing behind in the adhesive and using boiling water gets up the adhesive too but is a ball ache. I'm laying underlay and carpet once it's all done.

Next question: should I rip up and burn off the felt backing once I'm done or use boiling water to take up the adhesive too (pain in the @rse)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure