Portrush airshow. What time Saturday. Best place to go

Options
As the title suggests we are going to go to the airshow on Saturday but I cannot find any info on starting times or where they take off from etc.

Anybody have any idea and also where would be handy parked and where good to stand.
We will have a pram aswell if anyone can give advice.

What time would we need up there for to beat the mega rush

thanks. Hope this helps others.
We are coming from glenavy

Comments

• caz2703
    caz2703 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in almost the same boat but travelling from North Down. I have a friend who knows a friend etc so I'm waiting on info on what time the Red Arrows and Euro Fighter will be up in the air. Not heard yet but if I do I'll post back.

Mind you I'm not 100% sure what to do as I priced up the train journeys for the day and NIR were wanting £40 for 2 adults & 1 child (presuming they don't charge for a baby). Driving will be 2-3 hours I imagine plus I don't know the area either so parking could be very tricky. I'm hoping they'll do a fly past down Belfast Lough on their way home in which case you'll find me on the top deck of the Ikea car park!!
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    caz - check with train station again - I know July/Aug had family saver ticket for approx £18 for 2 adults and up to 3 children and you could hop and and off all day.
    Or if that offer is finished you could drive as far as Ballymoney and park at train station (free) and then the train would take you directly into centre of portrush.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.niinternationalairshow.co.uk/

Full listings of planes and times only seem to be available in the programme, which is fair enough as it is their only means of income for the free show. Red Arrows will be saturday ONLY and if like past years they will either open the show or end the show on Saturday. Euro fighter will be both days as will a lot of the other planes. If you have a facebook account look for the airshow page on there, they will answer a lot of questions:T

Parking will be hectic as always, but thankfully I have caravan park access:o I watch the show from black hill, which is the left slope if your looking out to sea a very good vantage point to see most of the show but a bit far off for the beach landings etc....

The military planes and Red Arrows fly in from their mainland bases all others seem to stay at the City of Derry Airport, who handle the ATC for the both days.

I don't think the planes will do a Belfast Lough fly past this year as it was pre arranged for the big Airbus last year to do Portrush then Belfast City before heading on to Scottish airports, impressive big plane it was too:T

I can't wait for the show again this year and I'm hoping to catch both days as I previously missed Sundays the last few years.

Oh and as the organizers say please show your support and loyalty to Tesco's, when the council decided not to fund the show this year it was going to be cancelled:( Tesco's stepped in and stumped up the money:T:T:T without them, there would be no show.
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • caz2703
    Options
    Sorry to hijack the thread again but if we did go by train, how far is the air show from the train station in Portrush? It's a long journey with a toddler in a buggy and a 6 year old who may not appreciate it so don't want to be walking too far or getting squished in crowds.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    caz2703 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread again but if we did go by train, how far is the air show from the train station in Portrush? It's a long journey with a toddler in a buggy and a 6 year old who may not appreciate it so don't want to be walking too far or getting squished in crowds.

Once you get off the train you only have to walk round corner to where Barry's is and the beach for the airshow is in behind. It is initially quite crowded on the path to get to the beach area but then there is a closed off carpark (East Strand) which has stalls, displays and food vans etc which has a bit more space and you can view from there.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2010 at 1:48PM
    Options
    If you're travelling by car, be in Ballymoney by 7 or 8 am, even earlier if you can.

Even when there's nothing on in Portrush at the weekend, there can traffic-jams from Ballymena to Portrush on a sunny week-end.
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    steveymp wrote: »
    http://www.niinternationalairshow.co.uk/

Oh and as the organizers say please show your support and loyalty to Tesco's, when the council decided not to fund the show this year it was going to be cancelled:( Tesco's stepped in and stumped up the money:T:T:T without them, there would be no show.

Point made and remembered stevey:T
  • metalgal
    metalgal Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    the train will be best if heading up on sat or sun. if you are a masochist head for landsdowne road carpark. Go in the one way system pass ramore winebar keep going just past a costcutter (i think) turn left to get to the carpark. if you then head towards the playpark go up the hill behind it and you will have great views. its !!!!! if its windy though. normally the whole thing kicks off at about two. but get there early to get a spot. bring a picnic with drinks (shops prices seem to go up when big things are on) a foldaway seat if possible, and i would recommend ear plugs/muffs for wee kids as it can be really loud. i did it with my four week old last year, one year old this year, and prams aren't that big of a problem. people will generally move out of the way as its quite a lot of familys who where in that situation themselves once. if you do go up to ramore head for gods sake remember to put the brakes on. i didn't (nothing major but a run over toe and a fright)
  • money_maker_3
    money_maker_3 Posts: 9,591 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I live less than 5 mins from Portrush, and even I wouldnt attempt to take my car in !! I am getting the train in from Coleraine with my 1 year old and 7 year old. Def stand near west strand ... although if you have young kids .. be prepared for all the normal cheap yet surprisingly expensive tat that will be on sale !!
    The two best things I have done with my life
    :TDD 5/11/02 :j DS 17/6/09 :T
    STOPTOBER CHALLANGE ... here we go !!
  • caz2703
    Options
    Well I've been told that the Red Arrows aren't due on until very late in the day and will be up in the air for an hour before heading back. I think given this it would be a very long day and a 6 hour return trip for a 1 hour slot for the Arrows.

Thank you for the advice everyone but I think I'll watch highlights on the news or YouTube instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure