confued by ebay.com fees.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
11 replies 998 views
soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
67.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭✭
After a break of some time I decided to list a few things on ebay.com.

All went well, I am using my business account and the start prices are between $3.99- $5. However when I checked fees they are coming up as free , there is a clicky to explain but that takes me to a page that says sellers are allowed 100 free listings a month for items priced between 01 cent and 99 cent. My items are definitely more than that, I haven't made a mistake with the opening price and i am definitely registered as a business.

Have I missed something obvious here or should I be running about panicking that I've done something horribly wrong?
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide

Replies

• cyberbobcyberbob Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    That should in theory as far as I can work out cost 25 cents per listing. I haven't listed directly on .com for a long while can't see any obvious announcements or anything.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    cyberbob wrote: »
    That should in theory as far as I can work out cost 25 cents per listing. I haven't listed directly on .com for a long while can't see any obvious announcements or anything.

Oh dear, then I think I had better start panicking.

The link they gave by the question mark where the fees were shown as free led to a page about free listings, but I didn't fit the eiligibility. Maybe it is a glitch?

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • CrowqueenCrowqueen Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Ouch. Could it be something to do with the fact that you are registered in an overseas territory - to them, anyway - and their software can distinguish between US territorial and overseas business registration?

Live Help is based in the US, apparently, so maybe contacting them would be a good idea.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Crowqueen wrote: »
    Ouch. Could it be something to do with the fact that you are registered in an overseas territory - to them, anyway - and their software can distinguish between US territorial and overseas business registration?

Live Help is based in the US, apparently, so maybe contacting them would be a good idea.

This account is my oldest so was registered on .com as ebay.uk didn't exist. However I changed my currency and registration about 3 years ago,.

I've definitely not been charged so I think i'll leave it and should a retrospective charge be applied I'll phone and have a moan then and ask what is happening. I think while i've not been charged I'll keep myself below the radar.

Out of interest I may try some more listings and see what happens.
    New to Forum? Guide
  • CrowqueenCrowqueen Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    soolin wrote: »
    This account is my oldest so was registered on .com as ebay.uk didn't exist. However I changed my currency and registration about 3 years ago,.

I've definitely not been charged so I think i'll leave it and should a retrospective charge be applied I'll phone and have a moan then and ask what is happening. I think while i've not been charged I'll keep myself below the radar.

Out of interest I may try some more listings and see what happens.
    Good luck, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Crowqueen, I'll report back later.
    New to Forum? Guide
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've listed more and the fees are still showing as Zero:

iconInfo_16x16.gifYou qualified for a free insertion fee (learn more about insertion fees - opens in a new window or tab). You saved $0.25. Your fees will be converted to your billing currency using the daily exchange rate.
    • Listing Currency: U.S. dollar
    • Billing Currency: Pound Sterling
    New to Forum? Guide
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Goodness, I really must stop responding to my own posts!

However, I've had bids already on two of my listed items so for anyone who has been tempted to list on ebay.com it might be worth a go as the buyers are there. here is even the chance you can list for free.

I only listed on .com as I sold a similair line of items and one of my buyers was from the US and he mentioned that he had only found my listing accidentally as he noticed 'international sellers' at the foot of a search page. He said it had not occured to him that there were sellers in the UK who were prepared to post to the US, and seemed to think I was unique. I thought that if he hadn't realised he could easily buy from the UK then maybe others hadn't either. Having two items bid on within a couple of hours of listing suggests he was not alone and there is an untapped market there in the US.
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Similar to this, I've paid my eBay fees but haven't paid my eBay fees! I don't know where they've taken them from, but it's certainly not my PayPal account nor is it my bank account on file. I don't have a credit card. It's very odd.
    10 Ways to Spend All Your Student Loan In A Week
  • PembrokePembroke Forumite
    830 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Similar to this, I've paid my eBay fees but haven't paid my eBay fees! I don't know where they've taken them from, but it's certainly not my PayPal account nor is it my bank account on file. I don't have a credit card. It's very odd.

If you've only just had a notification of fees from Ebay I think you'll find that the email says it's advanced notice of fees so you will get the cash taken from your PP account in a few days time.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals