Iron versus tumble drier

Options
Can anyone tells which costs less?

The tumble drier running for 1 hour or an iron on for an hour.

Comments

• paul&nat
    Options
    i would say the tumble drier defo.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,473 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A typical tumble drier might be rated in the region of 2.5 kW, whereas a steam iron might be rated at 1 to 1.5 kW. The actual power consumption of both of these will drop off sharply once they have warmed up, but I think the trend will be the same.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    masonic wrote:
    A typical tumble drier might be rated at anywhere from 2 to 5 kW, whereas a steam iron might be rated at 1 to 1.5 kW. The actual power consumption of both of these will drop off sharply once they have warmed up, but I think the trend will be the same.

5 kW for a 'typical' domestic tumble dryer? over 20 amps? are you sure? What sort of plug woild you use?
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A tumble drier I reckon would definitely use the most, until it's in the cool bit of the cycle and then it uses around 150 watts etc, compared to 2400. My steam generator doesn't use as much as that and then it's only high until it reaches the correct temp for whatever I'm ironing, usually set between two and three dots on the dial, and then it goes down to zilch and then it goes high in wattage again to heat up again, on and off throughout use. More energy used too when you use the steam button, but goes back to average wattage when not in use.

I got a Plug-In Mains Power & Energy Monitor from Maplin to check. Price £24.99. See here...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,473 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cardew wrote:
    5 kW for a 'typical' domestic tumble dryer? over 20 amps? are you sure? What sort of plug woild you use?
    Oops! Confused a power rating figure with a kWh/cycle figure. Corrected above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure