any statisticians in tonight?

Options
Hi

I'm after an accurate figure for the average increase in energy prices for the last year, or another reasonable period.

I was hoping to find one in someone else's report but have been unable to do so.

Alternatively, any suggestions on where to look?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on how you want the average.
    Do you want the mean of all of the rises?
    More likely is that you need a weighted average increase. ie: if BritishCrap supply 90% of the energy and NoncePower supply the other 10% and the former increase by 25% and the latter by 15%, the average increase is 10%, but people, on average pay, 0.9*25 + 0.1*15% more. Whatever that is.
    Happy chappy
  • foxychik
    Options
    thank you.

i guess i didn't explain myself very well.

by 'accurate' - i meant 'not a figure plucked out of the air' which is the impression i get from some of the reports i read.

if i wanted to say, 'with the average home paying x% more than they did last year...' - where would i find the figure. sorry if that's what your answer says. the formula looks complicated and i'm not that way inclined.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,473 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are some useful figures here and here.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    With different companies raising their prices on different dates it is difficult to give an accurate picture for comparison purposes. For instance NPower comes out well on the first table masonic posted because they have a an impending price rise not yet in the calculations.

Also within each company they have many tariffs also increasing on different dates and with varying discounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure