PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

London areas - where to buy?

Options

Comments

• zoeb_3
    Options
    itgirlinuk wrote:
    I have always been a north london person, but I did visit Peckam and areas around there and I like it.

Any suggestions in South East London, within Zone 2? And my budget is around £200K and I am looking for a 2/2.5/3 bed.

I've been living in Peckham for six months and really like it. There are obviously areas to avoid but we live close to the library and have had no problems whatsoever. I actually feel more secure than I did living in Clapham. Paid £200K for two double bed (proper doubles!) maisonette with a twenty foot roof terrace in a georgian townhouse. You should still be able to get something good for £200K. Camberwell is further along in terms of number of bars and restaurants but is pricier too.
  • matm00
    matm00 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I read the above thread with interest as I'm relocating to London in the next 4-5 months due to starting a new job in Soho (commuting from Swindon everyday at the moment). The last post in this thread was 18 months ago so I wondered whether anyone's opinions have changed since then?

I'm looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom place to rent and I have a budget of upto £300 per week. I kind of feel drawn to the NW/W/SW side of London (don't know why), but I'm fairly open to suggestions. I would like to live somewhere that feels safe and with a good night life (trendy bars and restaurants). I don't mind a commute of upto 30-40 mins (tube, train, bus, bike or whatever really), but any more than that and I might as well stay in Swindon (only an hour on the train). I've obviously heard of all the 'nicer' areas like Notting Hill, Chelsea, Fulham etc., but don't know if my budget will stretch that far... Maybe I'm wrong!

One useful thing would be if people could recommend reputable letting agents. I stumbled across the Foxtons website and have been browsing on there quite a lot, but it would be good to have something to compare them to.

Any suggestions on any of the above questions?
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    matm00 wrote:
    .... I stumbled across the Foxtons website and have been browsing on there quite a lot, but it would be good to have something to compare them to.....
    Arthur Daly if their recent TV appearance is anything to go by.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • Glitterari
    Glitterari Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    yeah, don't rent through them whatever you do!

I think you could find somewhere decent for that price. You just have to be smart and shop around. Try rightmove.com - you can put in your requirements and all the corresponding properties come up and they cover several estate agents.
    Proud DFW Nerd #62:wink:

Became Debt Free in Oct 2006 - uni was hard - financially!! Now need to start again.... :rolleyes2

PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS :D
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    matm00 wrote:
    I kind of feel drawn to the NW/W/SW side of London (don't know why), but I'm fairly open to suggestions. I would like to live somewhere that feels safe and with a good night life (trendy bars and restaurants).
    See my answers in post #6 :)
  • char9
    char9 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    To anyone looking to live in any area of London I would suggest looking at https://www.findaproperty.com. As well as having very thorough sales and lettings listings, they do quite nice profiles of the areas with comments from people who live there.

Personally I would heartily recommend the nicer parts of SE London - some areas have very good train links but are far more affordable due to the lack of tube. But then again that's where I live and I love it, so I'd be bound to suggest it. Just like lots of other people in this thread seem to have very pronounced opinions as to what is and isn't a nice area. Ah well, each to their own...
  • tazgirl
    tazgirl Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    It depends if you've still got friends/family in Swindon. If you have, imagine a trip home, then add an extra hour to get home from Paddington on a Sunday night if you're living in SE London. If links back west are important, you're better off looking for somewhere NW/W London. Ealing area is supposed to be OK, and it's an easy commute (if not pleasant, but what is) for Soho - end of the line if you're coming home late/tired/emotional...
  • tinkerbell1978
    Options
    chiswick isnt that suppose to be a good area??? i used to live just outside in kingston surrey (norbiton) that was fairly nice!
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need"
    live simply so that others may simply live
  • danrees
    danrees Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting that people are talking about Peckham? Which areas in particular? I have a friend who lives in Nunhead. How do people feel about Peckham Rye?
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    danrees wrote:
    Interesting that people are talking about Peckham? Which areas in particular? I have a friend who lives in Nunhead. How do people feel about Peckham Rye?

Peckham & New Cross are 2 areas that I definitely would never chose to live in.

Some parts of Peckham, where it borders with East Dulwich are not so bad. And Peckham does have good bus & rail links, I'll give it that
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure