decent restaurant leeds swinegate/the calls area

Options
Hi, staying at Cosmpolitan (opposite Mal Maison) on Sunday but won't be getting there until about 7ish so want somewhere close by for dinner. The only place i can find is Bibis does anyone have any other suggestions please. Italian/steak whatever - not too expensive tho!

thanks

Comments

• whatmichaelsays
    Options
    A lot of the restaurants around that end of town are a bit more upmarket than other parts of Leeds. They aren't extortionate by any means but they you can get cheaper if you look.

Bibis is very good and I've always had a good time there. If you are into Thai, there is a fantastic restaurant opposite Bibis (the name escapes me but is on a roof terrace directly opposite Bibis).

Another option, a little further away, is Mio Modo on Wellington Street. Again, very good food, nice ambience and tends not to be as crowded as Bibis.

As for steak, look at Blackhouse on Infirmary Street (past City Square, in the financial district) or River Plate in the Calls area. I've not been to the latter yet but I've heard some very good reviews from people who have.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • bargainbasement
    Options
    Thanks I think i am going to stick to Bibis it is close by and good reviews...... Mio Modo is closed on Sundays the prices did look a bit better there as well!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,588 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a Brasserie Blanc just round the corner from Malmaison. River Plate does excellent steaks, but pricey. The Aire Bar on The Calls does cheaper bar food.

Wherever you chose you may need to book.
  • A lot of the restaurants around that end of town are a bit more upmarket than other parts of Leeds. They aren't extortionate by any means but they you can get cheaper if you look.

Bibis is very good and I've always had a good time there. If you are into Thai, there is a fantastic restaurant opposite Bibis (the name escapes me but is on a roof terrace directly opposite Bibis).

Another option, a little further away, is Mio Modo on Wellington Street. Again, very good food, nice ambience and tends not to be as crowded as Bibis.

As for steak, look at Blackhouse on Infirmary Street (past City Square, in the financial district) or River Plate in the Calls area. I've not been to the latter yet but I've heard some very good reviews from people who have.

The Thai place is Chaophraya. V nice! :-)
  • I suppose it depends how far you're wanting to venture to. I'd definately recommend Bibis though. The atmosphere and decor is fab.

If you head towards the train station just round the corner from the hotel and then go up the street opposite which is Park Row (it's just to the left of Park Sq) you will find a lot of restaurants and bars. There is also Greek Street which is just off Park Row.
    There's the new Jamie Oliver restaurant that has recently opened (though you probably will have to queue as you can't book)
    Piccolino
    Slug & Lettuce
    La Tasca
    Living Room
    All Bar One
    Henry's
    Akbars
    Strada
    Prohibition
    Sam's Chop House
    Wetherspoons

Or just up from those around Millenium Sq you have:
    Northern Monkey
    Da Mario's
    Haha
    Revolution
    Spice Quarter
    Wetherspoons
    O'Neils
    Walkabout
    Casa Mia
    Red Chilli
    Browns
    Tiger Tiger
    Brios
    Nandos

The list goes on...

http://www.sugarvine.com/leeds/ is a good website for restaurants and you can also filter to the particular night you want to go and see which offers are on.

Also try http://www.leedsguide.co.uk/review/browse/food-and-drink/1016

Or alternatively go to Google maps and type in Leeds restaurants and browse round the city centre. You can then see which are near your hotel if you want to stay near by.

Any questions holler :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport