We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Snapped big sunglower...will it still grow flowers?

Options
Hey all,

My G/F planted some sunflower seeds in a big bucket. We supported them with canes (2 in a pot) & they grew to about 4 1/2 to 5 foot heigh-flower forming but in no way at all open...wind the other day snapped one clean off at about 2/3's of the way up & other bent /broken at same place (cut this off)...so...2 sunflowers supported on canes...chopped off & 3 to 3 1/2 foot high...will they re-grow? i suppose roots are already established....read somewhere that SOME types will sprout in the bit (sorry-don't know technical terms!) just above the leaf(s) & could possibly grow again & produce a flower....is this possible? Tjey've been in the bucket a good 2 1/2 to 3 months so guess roots are well established...

Comments

• DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    Bump bump bump-anyone?
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A couple of years ago when I bothered growing sunflowers the one of the pesky grey squirrels snapped one of mine in July. I left it in the pot and it grow 2 heads which flowered in September. I'm in London and have got sunflowers that have flowered in late October in the past.

I don't grow sunflowers any more because of the pesky grey squirrels. Anyone who thinks that foreign invading vermin is sweet obviously hasn't suffered their many destructive ways.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think if you plants have just snapped off, that will finish off their ability to produce futher shoots and flowers this year as they'll be coming to the end of their natural flowering season.
  • roosterpotatoes
    Options
    Yes, instead of one head though you will have at least two :)
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys/gals...so deffo not worth binning off...after all roots are intact!
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    Thats interesting - DH and I were having a competition with russian giants, mine bent over (but didn't snap) in early July. It wasn't broken through so I just uprighted it and put more stakes in. Mine has had 1 big head and then 5 small! DH's has only had 1 big one. I didn't know it could be due to the trauma!
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Options
    Your sunflower is a goner, I'm afraid. There would have been a good chance of some sideshoots and flowers if the stem had snapped in July - but we're approaching Autumn now and there isn't enough daylight and sunny weather to spur the Sunflower on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure