We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Does anyone else have this recycling/rubbish system?

Options
gabyjane
gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
have tried calling the council to no avail so thought ide ask on here.

A weeks or so ago we had new bins/boxes etc dropped outside our house, we were unaware we were getting these and have to start using them by the start of September. There was a radio article on the other morning which concluded most people are finding it i guess oddly done!

Currently we have 2 large wheelie bins, grey for food waste and green for anything else..simple!

We now have only what i can call a confusing system and thought it was just me until i spoke to a couple of friends and neighbours so wondered if anyone else used it.

We have 2 medium boxes..one for glass, foil and cardboard..that's fine.

One for clothes, food tins etc, aerosols, bottles and paper..that's fine.

We then have a small food box which stays in your kitchen on the side for the waste, this is then showed in the book as being transferred to the other box we have outside..again too small to hold our rubbish but it does go weekly.

My Q's are:

What happens to my main kitchen bin if i am using this smaller box? If i use it (50ltr brabantia one) the bags are way too big for the boxes?

What happens to the big green recycling bins we have? do they remove these?

What happens to the big grey bin if we are transferring the smaller box to the other box?!

We also have another box we are not sure about!

Seems a lot of transferring from A to B!
Thanks

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask your council!
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • katiel
    katiel Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Every council seems to have adopted a different system for separating waste, so you really do need to ask your own how it works. I think you might have a different definition of food waste to their's though. If you're filling a large grey wheelie bin with food remnants, you might be buying/cooking too much!
  • gabyjane
    Options
    Ask your council!

thanks! I did say i had tried but it is always engaged..until i have nothing better to do than sit and re call every 5 mins i thought ide ask on here.
  • gabyjane
    Options
    katiel wrote: »
    Every council seems to have adopted a different system for separating waste, so you really do need to ask your own how it works. I think you might have a different definition of food waste to their's though. If you're filling a large grey wheelie bin with food remnants, you might be buying/cooking too much!

I agree everyone is different but just wondered if anyone had this particular one. In our current food waste bin we do have id'e say about 80% food, the rest is stuff that is not allowed in our current recycling bin. There is us a family of 3 and up to another 5 children at the mo as i'm a childminder so the bin does get well used! Obviously the new system will be weekly so the bin not as full..hopefully.

Ill update when ive called them!
  • angelsmomma
    angelsmomma Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gabyjane wrote: »
    I agree everyone is different but just wondered if anyone had this particular one. In our current food waste bin we do have id'e say about 80% food, the rest is stuff that is not allowed in our current recycling bin. There is us a family of 3 and up to another 5 children at the mo as i'm a childminder so the bin does get well used! Obviously the new system will be weekly so the bin not as full..hopefully.

Ill update when ive called them!

Our system went forthnightly once we had all the bins. recycling one week, rubbish the next :(
    Life is not the way it’s supposed to be. It’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We were given a kitchen caddy but i dont use it i just take all food scraps straight out into the food waste wheelie bin.

There should of been a leaflet with the bins/boxes how silly to just leave you with these things, no wonder their number is engaged LOL!
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • ITRUK
    ITRUK Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The scheme in our area thats due to come in soon (as its been delayed) is also the caddy system you're on about.

Bascially all your actual food waste from your plate goes into this small caddy. Once this is full you put the waste into your green wheelie bin that is used for garden waste BUT you cannot put the waste into a plastic bag, you got to use degradable bags/wraps.
    Found this what can go into the caddy:
    Cooked and uncooked food
    Fruits and vegetables
    Meat and fish, bones and skin
    Uneaten food (plate scrapings)
    Cheese and other dairy products
    Eggs and egg shells
    Bread, cakes and pastries
    Rice, pasta, beans and cereal
    Tea bags and coffee grounds
    Newspaper / biodegradable liners
    Cat and dog food
    Used kitchen roll / paper tissues

All the packaging/waste that cannot go into your recycle boxes (from your 50ltr brabantia) goes into the grey wheelie. Eventually there porbably won't be a kitchen bin as the messiest stuff will go into your caddy then into the green bin.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    We are due to get this food waste caddy system from October at which point we will have a box into which we place all recyclables - in our area paper, glass, tins/cans, foil, plastic food packaging (except film and black plastic). We have a big blue bag which takes all the cardboard (to keep it dry for collection), and we can have a green wheely bin (or buy paper sacks) for garden rubbish. The new caddy etc is for food waste as above (although we will continue to compost the uncooked plant stuff ourselves in the garden) which means that there should be very little left to go out in a black bag as general rubbish. All of this is collected weekly, although its only 3 vehicles - the main black bag truck, the recycling truck and then a wheely bin truck which nips round picking up the few green garden waste bins.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    katiel wrote: »

I am not converted to the councils request, nor do I agree with them

BUT

seemingly it is not the council who direct us over what goes where, irrespective of what we have done before and what other towns do, it is the company that receives our waste that lays down the guidelines.

Recently whilst watching "Undercover Boss", the head of a recycling depot was the subject and when we saw how their operatives operate, it sort of opened my eyes a bit.

Aside from that, having to adapt yourself to odd ways, ie kitchen waste wrapped in newspaper and corrugated cardboard in the same bin, the list of nationwide variations is truly amazing.

If you are lucky enough to have any form of garden waste collection, then for heavens sake settle for anything else,because if like us (now we've moved ) we're without one, there is no alternative other than to take it to the tip ourselves and we don't drive. A composter would be filled within a week. Other than that, the council will sell me paper sacks at £1.20p, so in effect I'm paying my rated twice, only THEY say, garden waste is not household waste.
  • gabyjane
    Options
    Thanks.

savingmummy thanks! well without sounding lazy we live in a town house so a lot of running up and down each time i want to atke some rubbish out but i do not like the idea of habing a box in our kitchen full off food as that's what our bins for imo..the bin might i add again i spent ages getting as cost so much and was very happy with my bargain so am not getting rid!

ITRUK i see what you are saying and without splitting hairs our bins are the wrong way round so our green is your grey etc!

WestonDave we have no bins for the waste for the garden as they do not collect grr

islandman i saw some of that program quite interesting! again we have no garden collection which is a pain but luckily we do drive so have to take it to the tip.

tried this morning and engaged..tried again a few times when home this afternoon..engaged then closed..friend called and i asked her about it and she isnt impressed, they get loads of seagulls and their current bins ripped open so can see it being a nightmare, the big bins we have are a mystery to her too which made me feel better that it was not me being dumb! ill try again tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 1 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport