PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

House buying dreamer now seriously considering it for real!

Options
13»

Comments

• Maddie
    Maddie Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2010 at 5:38PM
    Options
    sinbad182 wrote: »
    Good on you for having the ambition to buy a fixer upper as your first place, but isnt a 11k jump in offers quite a lot?

Yes it is! The first offer was a bit of a 'toe in the water' since the property has been on the market so long. We kept it low so that we could hold back some of our deposit for improvements.

At £149500 we would have to hold back on structural work for now, and just get the essentials (electrics, plumbing etc) done along with some cosmetic improvements.

This could be our first and last place so it is worth it.
    Proud to be a moneysaver! :cool:
  • Maddie
    Options
    tawse57 wrote: »
    If your first offer does not embarass you then it is too high is an old house buying saying.

Thanks - I've heard that on here a few times ;)

We went in with a first offer that we wouldn't have been disappointed with if they'd have accepted (as we'd have wondered if we could have gone any lower)

I don't think any first offer would have embarassed me given the vendor is a company - you can't really insult a company!
  • tawse57
    tawse57 Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maddie wrote: »

We went in with a first offer that we wouldn't have been disappointed with if they'd have accepted (as we'd have wondered if we could have gone any lower)

I don't think any first offer would have embarassed me given the vendor is a company - you can't really insult a company!

Good for you for thinking of it in a rational business way and not an emotional way.
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
  • pararct
    pararct Posts: 777 Forumite
    Options
    Maddie wrote: »

A company may be more inclined to accept a lower offer just to get it off their books. After all its not like they need to finance their own purchase is it?
    Treat whatever Estate Agents tell you regarding other offers as waffle, and don't be drawn into a bidding war.

What sort of structural work are you anticipating?

You need to plan out your refurb very carefully if you are going to do it in stages. For example once electrics and plumbing have been done if you decide to extend it would mean pulling up existing floors digging into walls ect. Much better if you plan ahead and try and leave services up to a point where they can be picked up later.

Your plumber or electrician can advise simply tell them what you hope for the finished article.

Finally you are very correct to be cautious about your lending multiple, it sounds like it is affordable on your salary although you would be potless for a couple of years and sensibly (if only more had done it over the last few years) you are planning ahead for increases in interest rates. When you other half gets work this will then be a bonus on top of what you have and will allow you to complete the project probably quicker than you can envisage.
    Don't worry about what the market is going to do it is irrelevant you are buying a house to live in and have already checked out your affordability issues.

Good luck fingers crossed you get it for what you want to pay for it...
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Good luck and stick to your guns. The news today that house prices are expected to drop again must be in your favour as they will want to quickly proceed.
  • useless
    Options
    pararct wrote: »
    Finally you are very correct to be cautious about your lending multiple, it sounds like it is affordable on your salary although you would be potless for a couple of years and sensibly (if only more had done it over the last few years) you are planning ahead for increases in interest rates. When you other half gets work this will then be a bonus on top of what you have and will allow you to complete the project probably quicker than you can envisage.
    Don't worry about what the market is going to do it is irrelevant you are buying a house to live in and have already checked out your affordability issues.

Worth considering what the mortgage affordability situation would be if you were reliant on your other halves income only (can think of a few good reasons why that is worth considering).

as someone else said, this is not professional financial advice!
  • myhouse_2
    Options
    EA is probably not telling porkies - deal probably fell through for personal reasons (couldn't get a mortgage for that much either cause didn't have enough money or house was valued less). Mortgage problems are the main reason for the large number of sales falling through.
    After one failed sale, seller will likely be keen to sell - negotiate hard and get the best price you can - good luck!
  • Maddie
    Options
    Well it was rejected. Apparently they are holding out for around £165k, although EA did make out that she thought our offer was a good one and that they might eventually come to their senses.

The vendor is Grainger PLC. I checked and their year end is 30 Sept, so I guess they wont be in any rush to sell right now as it wouldn't complete before y/e.

We have left our offer on the table but have no plans to increase it.

Thanks to all for help and words of wisdom :)
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good decision IMO. Fingers crossed you get it.

If it's meant to be... and all that! I believe things happen for a reason.

Good luck with this one or wherever you end up..

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • IveSeenTheLight
    Options
    Who's "mo"?
    IMO
    In My Opinion
    :wall:
    What we've got here is....... failure to communicate.
    Some men you just can't reach.
    :wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills