taking holidays during redundancy notice

Options
Hi, I have been made redundant and have a few weeks left of my notice to work. Everyone has been told to use up the holidays they are entitled to or they will lose this and wont get the holiday paid for at the end of their contract. Could somebody explain as to whether they can make us use our holidays up during our redundancy period or can we stand our ground and expect them to pay us the holidays they owe us after we leave? I am unsure but wanting a clear answer - I cannot find anything specific on acas or government sites etc. Any help would be appreciated especially links to the wording of the laws etc. Basically, can they force us to use our holidays up? or can we refuse and they have to pay us the holidays we havnt used on top of our final wage? thank you in advance, dan

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    They can tell you when to take holliday, notice of redundancy does not change this.

Only requirement is the correct notice which they probably can have been considered to have done depending on the number of days to take and the time left to take them*.

Since this is cuurently flexable best to take holidays as and when they want to avoid the company setting the days.

* it is esy to bypas the rules anyway by starting with single days and working up.
  • danny69
    danny69 Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok thanks for that. I suspected this but for some reason my manager thought they couldnt force us to take them. yes I also wondered about giving us notice, think the law is something like they must give 2 days notice for every one day taken or something along those lines. I have chosen when to take my holidays, thanks. Just wondered if I had to take them because it would have been nice to have worked my notice and had holiday pay in addition. Its a shame the NHS under this libcon government are making such rash cuts, most of my colleagues will be jobless when they leave and most expect to be claiming jobseekers allowance. thanks for the advice.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TBH your manager probably doesn't want you to take the days as they would like you in the office.....

good luck sweetie.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport