Installing TRVs

Options
Hi all,

All our radiators have screw valves and I want them replaced with TRVs. There are 11 radiators to do and I've been quoted around £550 (inc VAT) to supply, fit and ballance. Does this sound reasonable, and if not what would be a reasonable amount?

Also, how much would people expect to pay for a service of a conventional boiler?

Cheers,
-Jeff

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    phoenix__ wrote: »
    Hi all,

All our radiators have screw valves and I want them replaced with TRVs. There are 11 radiators to do and I've been quoted around £550 (inc VAT) to supply, fit and ballance. Does this sound reasonable, and if not what would be a reasonable amount?

Also, how much would people expect to pay for a service of a conventional boiler?

Cheers,
    -Jeff

Good afternoon: depends on the TRVs, whether the system is drained downed,chemically flushed/topped up with inhibitor and where you are in the UK. I see from your other thread that you recently moved into a Victorian property...have whoever fits the TRVs and services the boiler to check the system water quality as well as the other components of the CH systems. Service cost will depends on the condition of boiler i.e. has it been well maintained, will it require any parts as indicated in the manufacturer's service routine.

Someone will be around shortly to advise a DIY...google is wonderful resource;)

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    trvs cost from 7 quid each. ie from screwfix.
    a handyman should only charge 200 quid max to fit em.
    you dont need a plumber for this simple job.

a boiler service is approx 100/200 quid.
    Get some gorm.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    ormus wrote: »
    a boiler service is approx 100/200 quid.
    :eek: pricey in the NW...more than in the soft South!:D £70 for Viessmann 100 1st service in Surbiton

Canucklehead
  • phoenix__
    phoenix__ Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Canucklehead, we live in London, so I expect will always be on the higher side for anything we get done.

The central heating system was installed 5-6 years ago by the previous owner, they said it had been regularly serviced but I can't see any evidence either way. That quote did include draining but I don't know about the inhibitor (I'll check back with him, along with which TRVs he usually uses).

The system itself is a mains pressued hot water system, and doesn't have the usual storage tanks in the loft that I had in the old house (I don't know how much difference that has on anything related to this).

ormus - I was quoted £75 for a boiler service, so that sounds (too?) cheap if it's normally £100-£200.

Cheers,
    -Jeff
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    phoenix__ wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Canucklehead, we live in London, so I expect will always be on the higher side for anything we get done.

The central heating system was installed 5-6 years ago by the previous owner, they said it had been regularly serviced but I can't see any evidence either way. That quote did include draining but I don't know about the inhibitor (I'll check back with him, along with which TRVs he usually uses).

The system itself is a mains pressued hot water system, and doesn't have the usual storage tanks in the loft that I had in the old house (I don't know how much difference that has on anything related to this).

ormus - I was quoted £75 for a boiler service, so that sounds (too?) cheap if it's normally £100-£200.

Cheers,
    -Jeff

Hi...are you saying you have an unvented hot water cylinder with a system boiler? If this is the case the UVC should also be checked out at the same time as the boiler service...make sure your RGI has certification i.e. G3 for unvented.

Btw...£75 is not too cheap for a boiler service in London (speaking as someone who types up quotes/invoices for a plumber/RGI ...my OH, who has worked in London for 30+ years.;)

HTH

Canucklehead
  • phoenix__
    phoenix__ Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If unvented is the same as mains pressure (the wording used in the survey) - then yes. I didn't realise there was a special certification for that - the guy who quoted me for the service / TRV installation did say he wouldn't be able to do anything with the hot water cylinder (if it needed anything) but not a problem to do the boiler / TRVs.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Price seems about right to me and at least the guy was honest in that he doesn't have a G3 ticket for the unvented.

Cheers.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure