Is it me or is opening a Santander esaver like pulling teeth?

Options
I have opened numerous internet operated easy access accounts over the last few years. I dont recall ever thinking the process was slow before. But these Santander lot seem to be seriously be dragging their feet! Bear in mind im already an A&L customer so one would have thought it should be easy. seems like Ive been waiting for ever (probably about 2 weeks) for some letters to arrive with various pass codes etc. Tried ringing their customer services but was just put on hold for ages and gave up in the end. The really irritating thing was opening A&L internet accounts was so easy - all done on line in minutes. Dont seem to be able to open like that with them anymore though. Have to say I wont be rushing to open any more of their accounts. Anyone else had similar experiences ?
:)

Comments

• andyj81
    andyj81 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I opened one of these accounts last week as a new customer to the bank. It was done within a week and the only problem I have is remembering the numbers to get into the thing ! Another set of codes etc !

Rate is ok and have made initial transfers ! All without hassle !
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I opened a Fixed rate bond with them some time ago and had a phone query I needed to resolve with them. It was my first contact with this new outfit and I was not impressed with their customer service. I made multiple attempts to talk to a real person and was left hanging for ages on every occasion. I suspect that they have been too busy trying to integrate all their new businesses and have taken their eye off the customer service ball. Definitely not impressed and will try to avoid having any dealings with them in future.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In my experience, opening any financial product with Santander is like pulling teeth, with rusty pliers, while being kicked in the balls repeatedly.

Excuse the crudeness, but they really are that bad ;)
  • juicyjude
    juicyjude Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    And there was an article in the Mail this weekend about how appauling they are. It states the Spanish operation works well, but there is something badly wrong with Santander in the UK! But they are allowed to continue with poor practices and customer service and until they get a kick up the **** by the powers that be, nothing will change.
  • locky123
    locky123 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Applied online 10 days ago for esaver and so far had no reply. Local branch said there were no records on file, so applied again online today. Actually been holding for 10 mins waiting to speak to their customer services.

What a prime example of a bad merger.
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I opened six Santander accounts, one current and five regular savings, by phone this morning and all six were showing online by the end of the conversation. I already had an Alliance & Leicester account so maybe that made the difference. My experience this morning was of excellent service.
  • highet
    highet Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    same here - already an A+L customer and tried to open esaver acc on line 3 weeks ago - after 2 weeks not a peep from them so went on line and tried again - today i now appear to have 2 esaver accounts so maybe they open them in batches every 3 weeks!!!!!!!
    as an aside wife tried to close on line saver 5 acc last week over the phone(you cant do it online)- apparently it takes at least 2 weeks to close account - maybe they save up the account closures and do them all at once too!!!
  • ricky.patel89
    Options
    I logged onto my ebanking and followed a ink on there, then my account was opened instantly after making my initial deposit.
  • boltongirl1
    boltongirl1 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2010 at 9:25PM
    Options
    I opened an easver account on line had no email after 6 working days (web site says takes 5 working days) so sent an email enquiry took 2 days to reply and my registration numbers etc arrived two weeks after I first opened the account I suggest you email them at least that way they cant ignore you.

Edit
    I have since found out I cant pay in via switch - not happy - you have to set up a direct debit from your external current account could take two weeks!!!
  • nicko33
    nicko33 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Options
    juicyjude wrote: »
    But they are allowed to continue with poor practices and customer service and until they get a kick up the **** by the powers that be, nothing will change.
    It's we the customer that have to kick them, by withdrawing all our custom and refusing to do business with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure