How do I cash in my pension?

Options
1235»

Comments

• MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To try to be fair to the people coming on here with little understanding of something they signed up to years ago, there are a huge number of people who have little understanding of, or interest in, pensions and who just sign up to something because someone has told them they should "have a pension".

I follow my financial affairs very closely because I find it interesting, and although I don't have a great understanding yet, I'm learning and getting there.

It seems like what exasperates the more knowledgeable people on here is when people say they were "mis-sold" an investment, when what they really mean is that they didn't get what they thought they were getting, or didn't really understand what they wanted/needed, or just didn't listen properly before they signed on the dotted line.

A lot of people simply don't have much interest in pensions, or finance in general (my wife just flatly refuses to discuss pensions because she doesn't want to think about being old) - luckily she has a good NHS pension and I'm keeping an eye on her other savings.

To be fair to these people, there isn't really anything wrong with having no interest in finances, except that it will obviously come back to bite you at some point. It's not really any different from running a car and refusing to check the oil, or having a pc and not installing and updating anti-virus software. everyone knows you should do it, but many people don't have the knowledge or time to do it.

It's their own fault if something goes wrong of course, but it's understandable when things like pensions, which can eaasily be confusing to the average person can be intimidating.

The whole attitude that if something doesn't turn out as expected years down the line, someone else is to blame and must be sued is more a problem with today's society, but I do sympathise with people who find things like pages of financial small print scary.

You are right of course. My post wasn't intended to be a p!ss-take as such, just a chance to lighten the atmosphere as I think the sheer volume of these "cash in pension"/"have I been missold" threads was getting a bit tiresome.

I like to think most of the "professionals" come here to try and help in a non-judgemental way. But we are only human and when we see the same errors again and again it does get a bit frustrating - especially if the poster also has a bit of a self-righteous attitude.
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MrChips wrote: »
    (holds hands up) - it was me.

I was just getting a bit fed up with there being so many of these daft threads. All of the contributors here are (generally) so patient with them - I thought it might be cathartic to be on the receiving end for once!

OK, I have to admit it was also a bit amusing to see how far I could push it before the penny dropped that this was a wind up:rotfl:

Now, who's p!ssed on your Mr Chips?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport