How do I cash in my pension?

Options

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, not me guv..................
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2010 at 8:12PM
    Options
    Emily1975 wrote: »
    I called Norwich Union today (although they seem to have been taken over by Aviva now). They agreed that it would be impossible to access the money now and said it was to do with tax relief.

I still think it's outrageous and I am going to write to them to complain. Do you think I could be entitled to some compensation in lieu of the inconvenience?

is this an example of miselling?

That settles it as far as I'm concerned- this HAS to be a wind-up. Has to be.

:rotfl::rotfl:and triple :rotfl:

Although I have to disagree with dunstonh when he says "nobody can be this stupid", as this topic seems to come up all this time and the posters often seem a bit lacking intelligence-wise.

Please will the real poster identify themselves?! It's not dunstonh's style; as Bendix says, he doesn't need an alter ego, so is it you, McKneff, despite your protestations?
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    (holds hands up) - it was me.

I was just getting a bit fed up with there being so many of these daft threads. All of the contributors here are (generally) so patient with them - I thought it might be cathartic to be on the receiving end for once!

OK, I have to admit it was also a bit amusing to see how far I could push it before the penny dropped that this was a wind up:rotfl:
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    MrChips wrote: »

I was just getting a bit fed up with there being so many of these daft threads. All of the contributors here are (generally) so patient with them - I thought it might be cathartic to be on the receiving end for once!

OK, I have to admit it was also a bit amusing to see how far I could push it before the penny dropped that this was a wind up:rotfl:

You are one wicked man, Mr Chips!!
    But you have made me smile :D
    Wonder how long it'll be until the next "Can I cash in my pension?" question, though? They keep on coming...
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    It won't be long before the next one appears . . that's for sure.

Now, before we move on, I'd like to explore the psychological drivers that led to Mr Chips assuming a female alter ego. I think we should be told.
  • McKneff
    Options
    MrChips wrote: »

'smacks back of legs with a big ruler' :D

So now you know, it wasnt me.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    'smacks back of legs with a big ruler' :D

So now you know, it wasnt me.

Unless you, too, are Mr Chips.

I'm just comparing the way you both write your names and the 'M' in both names is identical.

I smell a rat.
  • McKneff
    edited 25 August 2010 at 12:12PM
    Options
    I dont understand anyway, a capital M is a capital M isnt it.
    Wouldnt all posters whose name began with M write a capital M.////

Anyway, silly billy, havent you sussed me yet, i couldnt possibly be mr chips

Mrs Chips maybe but seeing as i sometimes give out my name.....

Annie

but, definitely, not guilty m'lud.
  • Data_Monkey_2
    Options
    To try to be fair to the people coming on here with little understanding of something they signed up to years ago, there are a huge number of people who have little understanding of, or interest in, pensions and who just sign up to something because someone has told them they should "have a pension".

I follow my financial affairs very closely because I find it interesting, and although I don't have a great understanding yet, I'm learning and getting there.

It seems like what exasperates the more knowledgeable people on here is when people say they were "mis-sold" an investment, when what they really mean is that they didn't get what they thought they were getting, or didn't really understand what they wanted/needed, or just didn't listen properly before they signed on the dotted line.

A lot of people simply don't have much interest in pensions, or finance in general (my wife just flatly refuses to discuss pensions because she doesn't want to think about being old) - luckily she has a good NHS pension and I'm keeping an eye on her other savings.

To be fair to these people, there isn't really anything wrong with having no interest in finances, except that it will obviously come back to bite you at some point. It's not really any different from running a car and refusing to check the oil, or having a pc and not installing and updating anti-virus software. everyone knows you should do it, but many people don't have the knowledge or time to do it.

It's their own fault if something goes wrong of course, but it's understandable when things like pensions, which can eaasily be confusing to the average person can be intimidating.

The whole attitude that if something doesn't turn out as expected years down the line, someone else is to blame and must be sued is more a problem with today's society, but I do sympathise with people who find things like pages of financial small print scary.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Options
    I still think it's outrageous and I am going to write to them to complain. Do you think I could be entitled to some compensation in lieu of the inconvenience?

is this an example of miselling?

I almost needed to write 'lol' while meaning it - well trolled ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure