Santander - does the left hand know........

Options
Sorry in advance, it's a bit long winded

I took out a regular savings account at a Bradford and Bingley branch in 2009 which was an account described as Abbey at B&B - and to me it seemed a great rate of 6%.

Set up my standing order ok, and in October tried to get details of the interest rate by email and then wrote to Abbey, as I had nothing in writing. They advised it was 4.5% - I was sure this was not the case but at the time accepted what they said, not sure why I didn't take it further then.

In February I had to delay the date of the standing order, but I told Abbey at my local branch that I had amended the payment to the 25th of the month and they seemed ok with that. Then later the same week, realising that February was a short month, I went back in to be told that it was my fault amending the standing order and there was nothing I could do. My bank had sent the payment so it was on its way and they would not take a cash payment and I would lose all the bonus interest - March was my last month so I paid a 13th payment then anyway.

My first complaint letter was replied to (by now it was Santander) - to sum it up, sorry, you will not be compensated for loss of interest as it is your fault, we sent you a letter in October reminding you about payment dates in response to your letter about the interest rate - but if you are not happy with this, please contact our complaints team.

Letter to complaints team - summing up their reply, sorry you were unhappy with the previous response, I have noted that you have not been affected by the late February payment as you have made 13 payments (thank goodness I made the last one). You have been paid the interest in full and it was earned at 6%

Ok, so financially I have not made a loss but the customer service was, shall we say, a bit of a shambles?
Not Rachmaninov
But Nyman
The heart asks for pleasure first
SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅

Comments

• juicyjude
    juicyjude Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    Thats why they are called Shabbey (Abbey)! And of course Shamtander!!
  • fairtrade
    fairtrade Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    Ok, so financially I have not made a loss but the customer service was, shall we say, a bit of a shambles?

Only a bit of a shambles? They must be improving!
    This is what we have come to expect from WeDon'tCare, sorry mistake, Santander.
    For myself I am an optimist - there does not seem to be much use being anything else.
    Sir Winston Churchill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport