Question about free eye tests / glases vouchers

Options
When I was 4, I was diagnosed with an eye movement disorder and my parents were informed that I may never drive. This was confirmed in 2007 (when I was 18) and I was put on the partially sighted register.

In March of this year, I was diagnosed with a disease of the optic nerve.

Now, whenever I've gone for eye tests that either the hospital or the opticians, the sight in my eyes has been become worse.

I had an eye test earlier this year and was given new glasses. My sight is now getting worse again. Whaa re the rules for getting eyes tested in such a short space (5 months) of time?

Due to being registered as partially sighted, I'm entitled to free eye tests and because I'm a low income, I'm entitled to optical vouchers.

Becuse of my sight problems, it's recommended that I get my eyes tested at least once a year.
Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
50p saver #40 £20 banked
Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25

Comments

• sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    When I was 4, I was diagnosed with an eye movement disorder and my parents were informed that I may never drive. This was confirmed in 2007 (when I was 18) and I was put on the partially sighted register.

In March of this year, I was diagnosed with a disease of the optic nerve.

Now, whenever I've gone for eye tests that either the hospital or the opticians, the sight in my eyes has been become worse.

I had an eye test earlier this year and was given new glasses. My sight is now getting worse again. Whaa re the rules for getting eyes tested in such a short space (5 months) of time?

Due to being registered as partially sighted, I'm entitled to free eye tests and because I'm a low income, I'm entitled to optical vouchers.

Becuse of my sight problems, it's recommended that I get my eyes tested at least once a year.

My son said he was finding it hard to see the white boards at school and we mentioned it to our GP who said get his eyes tested ASAP even though it was only months after his annual test, we did, he needed new glasses and the NHS voucher was given to us for his new specs.

So I think that as long as you have a valid reason to have the retest early its ok and a voucher will be given but only if the perscription has changed but the test is free anyway.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends on the change and the optician to be honest. There isn't a set in stone rule, the guideline is "significant clinical change" but what's significant to me might not be significant to you.

If your change in prescription would leave your old glasses "within tolerance" then you probably wont get a new voucher but if you're feeling a difference then you'll be outwith the tolerance scores and you should get a voucher.

A huge change in 5 months would probably lead to a referral back to opthalmology to see if there are more underlying problems that they've not picked up on. If your condition is known to cause rapid changes in your prescription then you should be on a shorter recall period to monitor this anyway.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    If your condition is known to cause rapid changes in your prescription then you should be on a shorter recall period to monitor this anyway.

From what I can gather, one of the conditions does mean that vision is worse than normal; but doesn't lead to blindness. The other condition, can lead to loss of central vision - I know mine isn't going; but I do feel as though there are changes. (I can no longer read standard size print aided)

I get my eyes tested yearly at the opticians. I also get them tested at least once a year at the eye infirmary.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could probably push for 6 monthly testing if you've got degeneration of central vision and peripheral vision. Would probably be a pain but might mean problems getting picked up faster and you not struggling to cope with an old prescription.
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    Thanks. I will ask about that. I had an eye test done in March & April - one eye had changed.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • jhorsfield30
    Options
    One I had a new pair of glasses after a accident and the old ones(12 months old) were destroyed. You could try that.
    ALso, on the issue of glasses vouchers, if I were to get the same prescription as my last pair, I would have to pay an extra £100 on top of the voucher to have a 1.67 lens index, what you get on NHS is very restrictive.
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    One I had a new pair of glasses after a accident and the old ones(12 months old) were destroyed. You could try that.

What would be the point? It would probably cost me a lot. I have a HC2 form and got new glasses in April. I still had to pay £78.80 for the glasses.

Plus, I doubt that would mean an eye test.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    My son said he was finding it hard to see the white boards at school and we mentioned it to our GP who said get his eyes tested ASAP even though it was only months after his annual test, we did, he needed new glasses and the NHS voucher was given to us for his new specs.

So I think that as long as you have a valid reason to have the retest early its ok and a voucher will be given but only if the perscription has changed but the test is free anyway.

is this the son with dyslexia not sure, i was recomended this and it does make a difference
    because if it is theres a test which is private but would be able to get him coulored lenses that are made so his reading is better and more able to concintrate , will give you details if this is the case
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ash4becks wrote: »
    is this the son with dyslexia not sure, i was recomended this and it does make a difference
    because if it is theres a test which is private but would be able to get him coulored lenses that are made so his reading is better and more able to concintrate , will give you details if this is the case

My daughter is dyxspraic, not dyslexic, my son needs specs because he fractured his scull when he was a toddler near his optic nerve and after that he needed specs.
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    My daughter is dyxspraic, not dyslexic, my son needs specs because he fractured his scull when he was a toddler near his optic nerve and after that he needed specs.

ok think painkillers are taking over at times
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport