We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Should I register for VAT?
laurajayne
Posts: 629 Forumite
I run a cake business which currently has a small turnover of £1.5k - although I am looking to make it full time, and have a much higher turnover.
Now I've read all the VAT documents, and most of what I sell is zero rated, with the exception of my inedible cake toppers, which I sometimes sell separately. Now I do buy products and services that are normally rated.
So my question is, given that I'll end up paying not a lot to HMRC, is it worth registering for VAT to claim back for what I pay. I can see that if the products that I sold were 'exempt' I couldn't, but it appears that zero rated isn't the same.
I understand that they may refuse my application, but is it worth applying for it in the first place?
Many Thanks
Now I've read all the VAT documents, and most of what I sell is zero rated, with the exception of my inedible cake toppers, which I sometimes sell separately. Now I do buy products and services that are normally rated.
So my question is, given that I'll end up paying not a lot to HMRC, is it worth registering for VAT to claim back for what I pay. I can see that if the products that I sold were 'exempt' I couldn't, but it appears that zero rated isn't the same.
I understand that they may refuse my application, but is it worth applying for it in the first place?
Many Thanks
:cool: Proud DFW Nerd 135 :cool:
Sealed Pot Challenge - 019
0
Comments
-
I've come across this before in catering where there are some niche markets where you buy mainly VAT items and services and turn them into non-VAT items. To me it makes perfect sense to register as you will always be in a refund situation with HMRC. If you have a legitimate business setup I can't see why HMRC would refuse the application, they can't turn you down just because they don't want to give a VAT refund

Please understand I'm not an accountant though and you should take advice from one first as there are several VAT schemes in operation. I also probably wouldn't bother for your current turnover but if you plan to grow it makes sense to do it before you start getting lots of equipment.0 -
Maybe you should bear in mind that the government may close the cake and biscuit VAT anomaly where some products are liable and other very similar products are zero rated. This might not last for ever. Having to add 20% to your prices soon after registration while you are well under the threshold would not be good.0
-
If the goods you provide are currently zero rated, yet the goods and services you purchase are rated at a higher vat level, then I would seriously consider registering; you could be missing out recliming on that VAT you are paying.
(You need to offset that against the added burdon that being VAT registered incurrs, e.g. submitting VAT declarations)
If a change in the law occurs that means your items become liable for a higher rate of VAT, and your annual turnover is still low, you could always regesister for VAT at that time.
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 20100
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards