33weeks pregnant and made redundant - HELP

Options
Hi I am currently 27 weeks pregnant and have been informed that I am being made redundant, this is not discrimination as our company is closing down and everyone is going, I am one of the last to go because I am the credit controller.

My company will pay SMP to me in a lump sum which will have a large amount of tax deducted from it, it will not say on my pay slip that this is SMP. My salary is/ was £25k and my partners is £14k. I will receive my P45 on my last day in the office so will be officially unemployed from the 1st of October 2010.

My Problem is this - Our joint income is going to lose £25k and we will only have the £14k my partner earns and the money from my redundancy. We already have a two year old son and I will be 33weeks pregnant, no employer in their right mind is going to employ me for 7 weeks then give me maternity. Ive worked for 10 years straight and never claimed any benifits, the same as my partner. Our rent alone is £850.00 p/m thats nearly all my partners salary, will all our other bills we will be living on a minus.

What can I do????????????????????????????

Comments

• nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you need to go to the benefits board.... peopel over there will know what you will be entitled to, and are really helpful....

then go to the oldstyle board, as they will be able to help you make some cut backs.

will there be any less money going out when you no longer work, for childcare for your 2yo?????

i'm sorry i can't give more useful advice, but things will be OK.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • GEEGEE8
    GEEGEE8 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Options
    You should get some redundancy pay, if your company is going into liquidation, then the Government will pay you some redundancy money.
    9/70lbs to lose :)
  • Kate78
    Kate78 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    ^ As GeeGee said.

You should get your 39 weeks SMP as well as redundancy.

Not sure about the tax side of it though, hopefully someone else will come along who can help. ;)
    Barclaycard 0% - [STRIKE]£1688.37 [/STRIKE] Paid off 10.06.12
  • Kim349
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I am being paid some redundancy but not enough to cover our expenditures.

The company voluntry closed down in June 2010 and is now in the process of winding itself up, there is no liquidation.

I cant figure out the benifit websites as they keep banging on about tax credits and my salary from 2009/2010 is what they will go on and at that point I was in full time employment so am entitled to NOTHING it really makes me angry as even though I did earn that amount the previous year its not like I kept it all in the bank it was spent on the cost of living so now that I will be on roughly £400 p/m with two kids and my partner clearing £900 after tax its just, its just soul destroying I dont understand how people who never work can get everything and I pay my taxes and really need help and cant get it, I never knew my company was closing down........ Sorry for the rant its an emotional subject for me!
  • pinkmexican
    Options
    Call the benefits people, they will work off this years expected income not off last year.

I am just waiting for this one to be born and then I can put my claim in as like you last year wouldn't be eligible, but this year I am, so they will work from my projected pay (as in not much just statutory).

You should also get paid a lump sum for any benefits you receive.

HTH

P
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family