Saving on my weekly shop

Comments

• pelirocco wrote: »
    I am surprised to hear the Op saying you cant get all the basics in Aldi and others agreeing you couldnt do a full shop there

I am the first to admit I am a bit of a food snob , but I am trying to mend my ways . But I am positive you could do a full shop in Aldis as a child growing in the 60's and 70's when there was little money and food was expensive , it was very easy to feed a family on less choice ( and less food come to that ) . It would be interesting to hear what basics the likes of Aldis are missing

Our local Tesco's and Asda ( walmart ) are huge , and if I havent lost the will to live after the 2nd aisle I could easily spend a fortune in them

I do my main shop with Lidl, but I do find it's often not possible to get everything I want or need. The one that really annoys me is that prawn cocktail sauce is frequently missing. Maybe it's not an essential for many, but it means an unplanned trip to either Iceland or Asda to get it. The other problem at Lidl (at least the Stourport on Severn store) is that if you go there later in the day, many items have not been replenished on the shelves and are therefore unavailable.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • I do my main shop with Lidl, but I do find it's often not possible to get everything I want or need. The one that really annoys me is that prawn cocktail sauce is frequently missing. Maybe it's not an essential for many, but it means an unplanned trip to either Iceland or Asda to get it. The other problem at Lidl (at least the Stourport on Severn store) is that if you go there later in the day, many items have not been replenished on the shelves and are therefore unavailable.

if you haven't got any prawn cocktail sauce, mix equal parts salad cream and tomato ketchup, we never buy the "real thing" as it'd probably go off before we used it all up :)
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Etiquette, schmettiquette. This thread, though started five years ago, is fascinating, inspiring and a jolly good read. I can't help but wonder how Jim is getting on, wish he would come back and let us know.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • Didnt even realise this was an old thread till the subject was brought up.:rotfl:

I have enjoyed reading it as well.

I changed to getting a few bits from Lidl as its near to us about a year ago and whilst it took a while to convince OH........now we do the majority of shopping and get top ups from there.

OH is impressed with their range of real ales. In fact he has just been and got himself some to watch the rugby!

Saves us a fortune. We were regularly spending £120 a week in tesco .....then with top ups on top.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Is it my imagination or is Lidl cheaper than Aldi now?
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I think Lidl is a bit cheaper now but I love both.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Aldi is too 'trendy' now..
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I went to Lidl last week, filled up a big trolley and it came to £57. Very pleased!
  • fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    SJ1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the posts. I don't dilute it, have tried it but my kids are used to the stronger taste and have spotted it! I have just bought more squash so we can have a mix, i.e. squash at lunch and juice at dinner.

I don't have a slow cooker. Funny I was discussing this with someone on this with someone else on this site recently. She had said it was handy but you have to put it on in the morning and I leave at 7am most mornings to get to work so just not going to fit that in. Do love stews though, might look at it for Fri when I leave kids off and weekends.

Also I have a v small freezer so wondering if it's worth buying a small one to fit under the stairs - no room in the kitchen. At mo my very small over the top of the fridge, reezer has two loaves of bread, fish fingers and smileys and peas for kids for emergencies, ice cubes and 4 ice lollies and that is about all that fits in it!

Do buy online but do feel that you miss out on offers sometimes this way. Went into Sains on way home and they were doing half price fairy dish tabs, toilet rolls, buy two save about £3 and buy one get one free on shower gel. Would have missed those online I think as its harder to spot.

Is it mysupermarket that lists the deals?

SJ

I leave for work before 7am every morning and have no problem loading up my slow cooker in between feeding my cat and the chickens! Cut everything up the night before and then just chuck it in the pot and switch it on.

I think you could do with practicing the art of buying non-branded food too. That will save you a fortune.
  • terill
    terill Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree totally with missdoes2jobs! A few smaller shops at different places is better than one large one at 1. I like Aldi, Iceland, Homebargains, Poundland, Poundshop (and Sainsbury for anything else)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure