Claiming benefits and Armed Forces

Comments

• peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    BLT wrote: »
    Go for it, I can't imagine its a lot of fun working in the housing offices, and when you go in to try and claim housing benefit on the 120 pounds a month you pay for your MQ it should give them a good chuckle :rotfl:

BLT - this is the second thread were youve quoted £120 a month for a quater, if only that were true....

I know we get housing at discount rates, and CILOCT is probably cheaper than the full Council Tax, but its rough with the smooth. We have to have some perks and thsoe we do have are rapidly fading.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • dome
    dome Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to claify my earlier point, if ur in MQ/SLA you pay CILOCT. If you own another property, then as you pay CILOCT, you're entitled to a 50% discount on the council tax of that property. You cant get any reduction of CILOCT, as its not actually council tax
  • helsee
    helsee Posts: 119 Forumite
    peteuk wrote: »
    BLT - this is the second thread were youve quoted £120 a month for a quater, if only that were true....

I know we get housing at discount rates, and CILOCT is probably cheaper than the full Council Tax, but its rough with the smooth. We have to have some perks and thsoe we do have are rapidly fading.

yes....i have heard LOA for those in Germany is to be cut? still trying to confirm if this is true as we are going in Nov? No one seems to know for sure....
  • helsee
    out of curiosity BLT are you/were you forces?

you just seem very negative and bitter towards the forces.....believe me, not everyone is living at the level of a WO with several kids in boarding school.....and many of the "perks" are'nt as great as they seem on the surface of it.
  • A Warrant Officer's top pay level (level 7) is about 46k, still a good salary BLT but I do wish you would sort your facts out.

Service personnel only get the size MQ they are entitled to unless there is a surplus. If they are entitled to a 3 bed house, they get one, if not then it's a 2. In anycase, the people to whinge and b!tch to aren't servicemen and women or MSE-ers, they are MPs and politicians.

The cost of MQs varies widely as well so quoting £200 is misleading.

I'm starting to think that BLT may stand for Bitter Lonely T..something.
  • jpwhittle
    jpwhittle Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    helsee wrote: »
    yes....i have heard LOA for those in Germany is to be cut? still trying to confirm if this is true as we are going in Nov? No one seems to know for sure....

LOA has just been cut as supposedly the cost of living has got cheaper. and the euro to pound rate has gone up so they decided to cut LOA, although it seems to have been cut more than the exchange rate wich is put down to living expenses going down supposedly, thats in cyprus anyway, where it really isnt cheap at all
    back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed :beer:
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 August 2010 at 1:56PM
    dome wrote: »
    is that not what i wrote?

Not IMO. I understood you to mean that service personel get a 50% council tax discount because they pay CILOCT. They don't, they pay CILOCT which, IIRC, is the national average of council tax for that type of property

EDIT: Now I've read post 14 I see you mean.
  • EmmEve
    EmmEve Posts: 260 Forumite
    The original post doesn't really make it clear whether they live in MQs or their own house. Even still, a Pte just out of training and renting their own property would be earning too much for LHA, I would think. Housing benefit is for council house tenants, I believe.

Housing benefit is for anyone on a low income :)

Re the CILOCT and council tax i'm confused. Surely if you own your own property you wouldn't be living in SLA or MQ and thus wouldn't be paying CILOCT and would be paying council tax? If you let the property the tennant is responsible for the council tax.
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Bluetube wrote: »
    Hi All,

My OH is serving and we recently found that we are entitled to full housing benefit and a full discount on council tax. I assume that with the housing benefit we just fill in the forms at the council offices, but council tax is a bit different. I have followed the threads about Ops and CILOCT but I wondered if anyone has claimed for a full discount? if so who do we need to go to. Any advice would be great. Particularly from anyone who has tried to claim either.

Thanks in advance :)

I think people are drifting from the original question.

More information is required to answer your question correctly
  • helsee
    EmmEve wrote: »
    Housing benefit is for anyone on a low income :)

Re the CILOCT and council tax i'm confused. Surely if you own your own property you wouldn't be living in SLA or MQ and thus wouldn't be paying CILOCT and would be paying council tax? If you let the property the tennant is responsible for the council tax.

i was thinking the same....im a bit confused now lol

However back to the original point of the post i dont know what the cut off for any housing benefit help is but i'd imagine even the lowest army wage is over it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure