Writing a letter from beyond the grave

Options
Another question about death – I thought I’d separate it from the other as its not really about money saving…
I want to leave a bundle of info and instructions about bank accounts etc, (with a copy of my will) to simplify things if I die, and it seems wrong to do this without also leaving a personal letter expressing my love for each of the people who will inherit anything. But it feels very odd trying to write a letter ‘from beyond the grave’, to be read after your death. Anyone any thoughts or advice about that?
Thanks

Comments

• moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi slopemaster,

Regarding leaving info about bank accounts etc, I think Age Concern do a sort of form that you fill in so you can leave all the important details in one document. (Someone posted about it on here, I think!)

As for the personal letters, I think it is a lovely idea and I keep thinking about doing this myself.

I imagine it will be extremely hard to put down in words how you feel, and I imagine just as hard to read, but also comforting for those left behind.

The hard part will be sitting down and actually writing it.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's the Lifebook from Age UK (the merged Age Concern and Help the Aged).
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    Another question about death – I thought I’d separate it from the other as its not really about money saving…
    I want to leave a bundle of info and instructions about bank accounts etc, (with a copy of my will) to simplify things if I die, and it seems wrong to do this without also leaving a personal letter expressing my love for each of the people who will inherit anything. But it feels very odd trying to write a letter ‘from beyond the grave’, to be read after your death. Anyone any thoughts or advice about that?
    Thanks

Yep, make sure you post it before you kick the bucket, it could be a bit difficult afterwards.
  • tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anybody you know who is in the forces? We have to consider this sort of thing each time we are deployed... (and yes, I am over 50!).

To be serious, sorting out the financial stuff is the first priority, but even a short "and I love you all" would work.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've written that sort of letter and left it with my will, it's mostly saying why i've chosen to leave what to whom.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • slopemaster
    slopemaster Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I saw a suggestion that what most people need to say can be summed up as
     Will you please forgive me?
     I forgive you.
     Thank you.
     I love you.
     Goodbye
This discussion has been closed.