I have been "Invited" to attend Court on Thursday!

Options
For my son and his wifes adoption hearing :j Can anyone tell me what to expect please - Never been in court before???

TIA
The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...

Comments

• Thefunkygibbons
    Options
    Adoption hearings are closed, ie no public attendance

Expect to have a clerk show the family into a court with just a judge

The judge will review the papers and probably ask the children whether they understand the process, although this will depend on age

At the end, there will probably be an opportunity for some photos with the judge

It is a very different experience than normal court
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No idea what it's like but I wish them the very best with the hearing I hope everything goes well for them :)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • tinselfairy
    Options
    When we attended court to 'officially' adopt our son we didn't even go into the court room. It was all very informal in the judge's chambers and she was just smartly dressed, not all togged up. She even let DS wear her wig for the photos.
    Wishing you all a brilliant day, it's the final offical step in a very long journey.
    ...it is not of more importance than daily life, which I have an enduring wish to make as useful and beautiful as possible.

Georgie Burne-Jones
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    When we attended court to 'officially' adopt our son we didn't even go into the court room. It was all very informal in the judge's chambers and she was just smartly dressed, not all togged up. She even let DS wear her wig for the photos.
    Wishing you all a brilliant day, it's the final offical step in a very long journey.

Tell me about it! So far almost 2 years, books, courses, interviews, travel, a harrowing meet with the birthmother, social workers etc etc. I am just happy that they left my mother out of it! However she is well worth it, and my kids are so happy too.. Thanks for the information.
  • tinselfairy
    Options
    We're gearing up to do it all again so it'll be more social worker visits and harrowing times ahead. But it's so worth it.
    ...it is not of more importance than daily life, which I have an enduring wish to make as useful and beautiful as possible.

Georgie Burne-Jones
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have been to court on a number of adoption hearings. it is a very pleasant affair and nothing to be worried about. every one that i've attended the judge has had an 'informal chat' with the family and lets the children wear the wigs. i've seen children twiseling the judges chair with the judge spinning them around and i've also seen a judge sing "twinkle twinkle" and "old macdonald had a farm" to the children. they often speak to older children and ask them how they like their new mummy and daddy and on every occasion i have seen a child been presented with a home made certificate signed by the judge.

nothing to worry about, in fact its a really nice occasion.
    Give blood - its free
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    Thats set my mind at rest - Just got to get my suit polished and shoes ironed and I'll be ready for anything!
  • LondonDiva
    Options
    :TCongratulations & don't forget the camera!:T
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure