student credit cards

Options
I am a third year student on a 5 year course and would like to build my credit rating so i can stooz in the future.

I have been turned down from store cards in the past.

I obtained my credit record from the experian, equifax etc. and basically I have no history.

I do now have different bills in my name phone, electricity, broadband, mobile phone etc. and am on the electoral register etc.

I was wondering if there are any cards out there for me??? Or are there any students out there with decent credit cards. I just want to build up a decent record with a view to stoozing.

any advice??

Comments

• I have a vested interest here...the username's a giveaway...but Barclaycard Student is the cheapest of all the Student credit cards (14.9% APR). It has text message reminders for bill payments and no over-limit fees. Maximum credit limit at account opening is £600.

Take your point about building a credit history but I won't be the only one on here to remind you that it can work the other way too!
  • CIMA_LOVER
    Options
    I have writen to Your Customer Experience Director, because your company does not upgrade my card!
  • sdj25
    sdj25 Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    Any advice

I probably speak for alot of people on this board / forum. DONT DO IT! Don't worry at all about building your credit history - that will come if & when you need it.

Barclaycard do probably have the best deal out there at the moment. But if you need extra cash - have a look into the 0% overdrafts on offer. Barclays got a bit slammed in the financial world for encouraging student debt recently.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Experian produces a free credit guide for students, which you might find useful. Visit https://www.experian.co.uk/learningzone and look in the Credit Crossroads section.

James
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport