Warren James Diamond engagement ring.

Options
Hi all.

We bought a diamond ring from warren james approx 10 months ago at approx £650, we have come to have this ring valuated and it appears that the diamond is very flawed with a cloud covering 1/3 of the diamond itself! Is there anything that can be done about this as its practically worthless! :(
Here today, hospital tomorrow :(

Comments

• Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    Gallstones wrote: »
    Hi all.

We bought a diamond ring from warren james approx 10 months ago at approx £650, we have come to have this ring valuated and it appears that the diamond is very flawed with a cloud covering 1/3 of the diamond itself! Is there anything that can be done about this as its practically worthless! :(

I wouldn't have thought so, you offered to buy it at that price and the retailer accepted that price (in legal terms).

Really the only thing you can do is send a letter to the HO and appeal to their better nature but do you really want another ring because surely this has more sentimental value than £650?
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • BigBudgie
    BigBudgie Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    Was the diamond certificated?
    How does the certificate describe the diamond?
    Is the description different to that now provided by the new valuer?

Rgds Budgie
  • Blacksheep1979
    Options
    Unless the stone had a description mentioning the lack of inclusions/clarity then you bought an item that you saw and were happy with (until you got the scrap parts valued).
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You shouldn't reaqlly expect too much at that sort of price. I have always bought second hand rings or the stones seperately.
  • dreamypuma
    dreamypuma Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    You shouldn't reaqlly expect too much at that sort of price.

Not from a high street store like this anyway. I doubt it was a certified diamond at this price from this retailer. As always, it helps to do your research before parting with cash.
    My farts hospitalize small children :o
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Did you not notice the problems with the diamond when you viewed the ring?

Mine has a visible inclusion so the ring was cheaper than others with a similar sized diamond. However it's on the edge under one of the claws on the setting, and the rest of the stone is very clear and well cut, so the inclusion doesn't detract from the overall beauty of the diamond and it's still very sparkly. People glancing at the stone haven't noticed it until I've pointed out exactly where it is!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2010 at 10:04PM
    Options
    Absolutely nothing you can do about this unless there was a diamond certificate with it.

Never EVER get high street jewellery valued. You will just be very disappointed.

What is the carat weight of the diamond and the carat of the gold?
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I've looked at the diamond rings in Warren James (just out of interest not with a view to buying), they have some 1.5 carat and 2 carat rings BUT they are VERY included (you can clearly see the inclusions with the naked eye even though the shop window).
    The stones are usually very yellowish too.

Argos guaranteee their 'certificated' diamonds are of at least colour J and minimum I1-I2 clarity - which means the inclusion can be seen by the naked eye.
    I'd guess Warren James's stones will be similar.

Take a look at this website which explains the difference between IF (Internally Flawless) & I quality:
    http://www.diamondgeezer.com/diamond-buyers-guide/identify-and-understand-the-best-diamond-clarity-shop-for-diamonds.php

Under I1-I3 it even says:
    These diamonds I1, I2, and I3 are suitable for when size matters and a low budget requires very poor clarity.

Using Diamondgeezer's search, a 1 carat colour J SI2 loose diamond would cost you upwards of £1700.

How big was the diamond?

What shop did you get your valuation from?
  • Gallstones
    Gallstones Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its a .33 Diamond in a special set to make it look bigger, thanks for your replys all!
    Here today, hospital tomorrow :(
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Forgot to ask, what shape was the diamond?
    Round ones tend to be slightly cheaper than say emerald cut or princess cut for the same carat weight.

OK, so according to the Diamondgeezer website a .33 carat diamond of round brilliant cut and (let's assume) colour J, of SI2 quality with 'excellent' cut, polish & symmetry would have cost you £461 for the stone alone.

You also have the value of the gold in the ring,
    You can use the website I gave you to play about to see how much you would have paid for a diamond solitaire ring from there.
    Assuming your ring is 18 carat yellow gold, the nearest match I can see is a .31 carat, colour I of SI2 clarity.
    That is priced at £964.

Or a .20 carat colour J (worse than above) clarity of I2 (worse than above) is priced at £584.

Can you see any black specs in the diamond?
    Can you see this 'cloud' that the valuing jeweller has mentioned?
    Did you notice this 'cloud' when you bought the ring?
    Which shop did you get your valuation from? Was it a high street chain or an independant jeweller?

Exactly what valuation has the jeweller put on the ring?
    Did the jeweller tell you what clarity and colour the diamond was?

I'm not sure where you stand legally but have you thought about taking the valuation back to Warren James to see what they say?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure