Double glazing quotes - Croydon

Options
I've had a couple of quotes today for replacement sash windows and wanted to ask if they sound about right to those of you who know about such things. The window sizes are:

1 x 3-part bay window
- Side sections (approx 55.5cm wide x 176cm high)
- Centre section (approx 91cm wide x 176cm high)

2 x windows (approx 76cm wide x 140cm high)

One quote came in at £4800, the other at "between £5k and £6k".

They'd replace everything (inc architraves, nosing etc) and make good, but nearly £1k a window is a bit of a shock!

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• KingL
    KingL Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Options
    what material are they in ? Are they Single or double glazed ?

I believe that if you are doing anything more than swapping out the glass, and unless you are in a preservation area, you will need to meet building regulations (meaning that they will almost certainly have to be double glazed, and meet certain standards of insulation). If that's the case, you'll either need local authority Building Control sign-off or a Fensa registered installer to sign them off. Either way make sure what you are buying meets the regulations (which are tightening on 1st October).
  • jojo01
    jojo01 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks KingL.

Yes, they're being double glazed (uPVC) and all the quotes I'm getting are from FENSA registered companies.
  • KingL
    KingL Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Options
    Not that surprised by the prices (for London)... I've just paid £1200 a window for low-end replacement hardwood wooden sashes. Hi-end was £1900.
  • gallagher30
    Options
    Jojo, just pm'd you re.reccommendations. KingL, I don't think £1200 is bad at all for a hardwood sash, two premium products essentially in one; sash windows are always at a premium, as is hardwood over PVC-U.

PM me with the details of the supplier if poss, always looking to keep an eye on things - especially if it's in the London area (or was that for JoJo only!)
  • rramaswa
    Options
    Dont bother with alphaglaze. Just had my windows done and vey unhappy with the experience. Following the installation and receipt of money, they dont bother responding to phone calls and providing paper work. It was a nightmare tryign to get the guarrantee paperwork from them. Thy were rude on the phone and customer service is non-existent!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure