We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'The Big Brother shopping task – a lesson for modern living?' blog discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• FredaJones
    Options
    The "shopping task" is actually the three day task where the housemates attempt to earn their shopping budget.

They then have a hour to pick their shopping from the list and that is called picking their shopping from the list....

And in reply to the question about unused previous week's shopping being removed from the house, this only happens when they fail the Shopping Task and are awarded the basic budget. If they win the Shopping Task, groceries they already have remain in the house.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 August 2010 at 5:02PM
    Options
    camaj wrote: »

Other BB's do things a bit differently. In Australia they had a little supermarket where one person could do the shopping within a budget. I believe that toilet paper wasn't supplied either so there were times where the HM's were willing to do anything to get more paper. Paper was actually more coveted than food, it seemed.

Last time that Britain was on its beam ends economically in the 1970's; when we had to invite the International Monetary Fund to run the country; one of the symptoms of the failing economy were shortages.

It started with the 3 day week, where the miners brought down the Tory government; in response to an oil shortage caused by trouble in the Middle East. .
    Candles were gold and we learned how to make bowls of floating wicks in cooking oil. (My "student" household had invented that before the press caught on)

Then there was the bog roll shortage (Psst. these are for you: knocked off bog roles:rotfl:) . Not exactly the end of civilisation in our time.

The sugar shortage (Some horrible pale urine coloured "white" sugar got on the market - we used it for home brew lager.:D)

There were probably more cases where traders would not supply the British market with "stuff" in exchange for a depreciating currency.

Of course during the swansong of the mining industry - when the miners tried again but Maggie was ready for them - I found myself burning some very strange mucky anthracite supplied by the brothers in USSR (I had to riddle it to get the dust out).
    The plume of smoke, from one horizon to the other at that Christmas, originated from the chimney of a local power station; it looked like they were burning old tyres to keep the lights on.

Hopefully people will pull together in adversity again - we might find we are living in the lull before next winter's storm.
  • flapjack_2
    flapjack_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2010 at 5:18PM
    Options
    I still don't know exactly how she achieved it, but about 20 years ago my sister subsided on a student weekly shopping budget of £5.
    I couldn't see it happening these days.
    I managed on twice that for a while with a weekly shop of 4 pints of milk, a box of cereal, 8 cans of beans, 4 bogrolls, a loaf of sliced wholemeal, some special offer chicken nuggets and whatever fruit and veg I could buy with the change. But this was going back to the early 90's, and inflation has put paid to bargains such as the 8p can of plum tomatoes I used to be able to get.
    My top tips for K-rationing are finding a cheap local greengrocers as they're usually much better value than supermarket greens (especially at around 4pm when they're getting rid of bulk stock by the sackful). Cheapest veg are usually carrots and onions. Stock up on basic drystuff like rice, noodles, pasta, lentils etc. at the start of term.
    Beans are generally good value.
    Stock up on canned produce in bulk during price promotions if possible.
    Store leftover casseroles, bolognaises and chillis in tuppaware boxes in the fridge... it saves time too.
    Don't cook elaborate recipes as each ingredient is another wedge of the budget. Herbs and spices are cheaper from world food grocers in polythene bags.
    Don't do what an aquaintance of my sister's attempted with his student grant. He figured that he could live off nothing but porridge oats for a term and with the money saved he could blow his student grant on getting bladdered every night at the student bar.
    3 months later he was admitted to hospital with the first case of scurvey they'd seen in over 50 years!
    Regardless of budget, malnutrition is a false economy, and contrary to what most BB contestants seem to believe, you can't eat the cigarettes you bought with your £10 a week grocery budget.
    It's cheaper long term to bite the bullet and go cold turkey.
  • ChocBox
    Options
    I used to go a do a weekly shop get the shopping trolley and just start quite often getting tempted with things you do not need and then spending a mere fortune.

When I started looking online you really can see the savings between the supermarkets and by looking for special offers like introductory evouchers and free delivery vouchers you can save quite a lot of money.

Personally I recommend Asda as for my weekly shop they are the most cost effective.

With the savings why not treat yourself to a short break in the Lake District. bookinglaterooms com

Happy shopping and saving. ChocBox. :j
  • puddings_2
    puddings_2 Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Options
    and housemates get a selection of staples in addition to what they buy on a basic budget... lentils and (the dreaded) chickpeas come to mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure