We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Do u lose your 9 yrs no claimd discount if named driver

Can someone advise me please. I have always been a named driver on my husbands insurance even though I was the main driver and have 9 years or more no claims. My husband has just died and I need car insurance in my own name now. Do I lose the no claims discount built up between us and have to pay a hefty premium as even if I put in 9 yrs NCD they need a proof from previous insurer. Please help. need urgently

Comments

  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,650
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear of your loss :(

    Check out your local small independent brokers. They are more likely to be able to work something than any of the large call centre based companies.

    I'm sure they'll be able to work something out.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear of your loss :(

    Who are you insured through? Does your insurance company give no claims to named drivers?

    I am with Direct Line and they give no claims to named drivers. My OH is a named driver on my policy, so they let her build no claims.
  • Currently with churchill Insurance but not yet told them about it.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I'd give them a ring and explain the situation, they may help you out considering the circumstances.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I have just found this on the Churchill website:

    "Named drivers will earn their own no claims discounts

    Churchill now offer your named drivers the opportunity to earn their own Named Drivers No Claims Discounts (NDNCD).


    Named drivers can earn their own discount while they remain claim free on your policy. They will be rewarded with up to a maximum of 3 years NDNCD when they take out a Churchill policy of their own. Other insurers may not recognise NDNCD.


    The Named Driver No Claims Discount may be lower than the No Claims Discount (NCD) available to you as the policyholder. Once applied to a policy the NDNCD works the same way as NCD in that if you make a claim the NDNCD will be reduced.


    Taking advantage of this deal couldn't be easier. Your named drivers' no claims histories are automatically stored on our system, so when they come to apply for their own policy they simply need to give us your details online or on the phone and we can identify them immediately, at which point they will be able to receive up to a maximum of 3 years Named Driver No Claims Discount on their own policy.
    "


    Source: http://www.churchill.com/motor/discounts.htm#nameddriverncd
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,547
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 August 2010 at 12:34PM
    Some insurance companies will take into account NCD earned as a named driver on another policy - I belive Directy Line are one but there are others too - try giving them a call.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,180
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    carer4 wrote: »
    Currently with churchill Insurance but not yet told them about it.
    OP, be careful.

    You really should not now be driving using your husband's insurance. Check with Churchill before driving again.
  • . I have always been a named driver on my husbands insurance even though I was the main driver
    Might best not to mention that either, since that might/will be construed as 'fronting'
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.