6 X Fencing panels supplied and fitted £600? is this fair

Options
Just been to my elderly not very money wise grandmother to discover work starts today on the fencing. They are supplying 6 x 5ft panels and concreting them in etc. Granny said it was £200 at first but then added £50 every time I asked. It appears she will pay £250 MATERIALS AND £350 labour.

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Whats the ground like?

Concrete posts or timber posts?

Gravel Boards fitted?

Old fence to be removed first?

How many men?

For what timescale?

Too many questions need answering. It could be too high by about a third, it could be spot on correct, it could be a damned good deal.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    normal straight garden, no removal of fencing, one man and half a day he says (a friend of her window cleaner)
    she gave him £230 for the posts, fencing and materials, he is charging £350 on top for labour,.
  • keystone
    Options
    Materials look about right to me if timber posts. Labour is well OTT for 1½ man days, £ 100 - £ 150 max IMHO. Either that or I start doing fencing work if thats the going rate. Talking of which job starts in 30 mins so must go.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree it's about 1.5 man days to do that, no more. It's not a high skilled job and so I agree that labour shouldn't be more than £150.

I think the materials are a bit high as well. H was paying something like £11 a panel and £5 a post - I know he shops around hard and it's trade, but then the bloke doing it should be trade as well?!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    he said he would be starting at 8.45am, still no sign. I have sent my mother down to wait for him as granny seems to have gone shopping. I hate it when the elderly are targetted for higher prices and she is like "oh he wouldnt rip me off!"
  • knowloads
    knowloads Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    MATTER OF OPINION wages? My Bro in Law gets £70,000 a year to wander around 7-8 high street shops and check if the managers are doing it right??? Not very skilled, and he gets 5 weeks holiday, company car allowance, 2 days a week off. My younger bro in comparison is self employed general builder, landscaper. He works 7am til 7pm 6 days a week, then does book keeping and quotes etc at night, pays for 3 vans, insurance, tax, highest fuel prices ever, Public Liability insurance at £5000 per year, National Insurance for 4 men, tax and had 3 weeks off in the last 3 years. He is lucky to get £30k a year. If he does not get a 'next' job, for next week or next month, he will not get paid. I would class him as skilled even if he is fitting a fence, building a garage or digging a pond. Paying for a service is a simple agreement that you the customer is satisfied that the price you are being charged is acceptable, you can afford it, and you will pay for it. The materials may cost £5, the rest is for the knowledge the experience and the agreement in place. YES your aged parent should be protected, but if the price is too high, do not agree to the work. YES there are con men out there. BEWARE.
  • keystone
    Options
    he said he would be starting at 8.45am, still no sign.
    Did he turn up?

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure