PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Home cooked Gammon Ham

Options
Hi Ladies

I bought a gammon ham from the butchers this week for £10.50. I roasted it in the oven with a mustard and honey glaze and we had it for tea. Did lunch the next day, then DH & I had it chopped in part-baked rolls with cheese and onion melted in over (yum). Carved up what was left and enough for Dh and DD's to have sandwiched today and enough left for the pizza topping tonight when we get back from swimming.

I am trying to work it out if this was good value for money. I really dont like the wafer thin packet stuff you can buy as you look at the ingredients listed and it makes me wonder if there actually is any quality meat in it. I guess its trying to get the balance of quality stuff for the right price??

Also I am carving slices by hand do you think it would be worth buying a slicer? and if so can anyone recommend one?

Comments

• Eels100
    Options
    Not sure about the economics but in reference to the gammon I have 2 comments:

- It's got to be better for you than that vile plastic stuff you get in packets!

- You can successfully cook it in the slow cooker or simply boil it on the hob, and leave yourself with delicious stock for soup (although watch out for saltiness).
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Eels100 wrote:
    Not sure about the economics but in reference to the gammon I have 2 comments:

- It's got to be better for you than that vile plastic stuff you get in packets!

- You can successfully cook it in the slow cooker or simply boil it on the hob, and leave yourself with delicious stock for soup (although watch out for saltiness).

Soak it in cold water for about twelve hrs.

Then change the water before you cook it.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    Word of warning - too much gammon can make your family hate you... ;)
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 January 2019 at 9:57AM
    Options
    Hi, I do the same as you - it really does seem to last all week.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    I find that Gammon/Bacon/Boiling ham is far less salty that it used to be in the past (Here we go again, swing the lights, put yer tin hat on and pull up a sandbag and listen) I steam mine for 40 minutes and cool under a weighted plate to keep the shape the it goes through the electric slicer, absolutely scrumptious..... Infact I did an "emergency ham" for the Ex yesterday as she was inundated with unexpected guests and it was bought, cooked, cooled in ice water, sliced and delivered in an hour. £2.33 from Aldi (about 3/4 kilo) made 40 slices. I think the overnight soaking is a thing of the past as the curing chemicals are now so tightly controlled that little Saltpetre is now used.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, can't post exact recipe I use as it's copyright but I cook my gammon in two big bottles of coca cola and then finish it off in the oven with black treacle with mustard powder and demerara sugar mixed together and patted on the treacle

it is absolutely GORGEOUS - thank you Nigella, you rock! :T Everyone who eats it raves about how it's the nicest ham they've ever tasted - which makes me feel super happy :D
    Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

• liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought recipies couldn't be copywrite. It is just the 'method' being in the writers own words that is copywrited?
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    liney wrote:
    I thought recipies couldn't be copywrite. It is just the 'method' being in the writers own words that is copywrited?

Oh. My mistake - I thought others hadn't posted exact recipes because they weren't theirs :o
    Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

• Phatmouse
    Options
    Much better value and taste,

Try this for a change.

Bottle of cherry coke, full fat.
    Soak gammon overnight.

Put in snug pan with onion chopped in half and cover in cherry coke (always full fat), top up with water if need be, boil for a couple of hours, slice and eat or remove rind, score fat cover in cherry jam and stick cloves into the fat and roast for an hour. No need though it delicious without, I do it every christmas eve.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure