We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Insuring a car thats not yours
I drive my soon to be ex husbands car, the insurance needs renewing soon and I have tried to buy the car off him and he refuses to budge on price, he informed me tonight that he doesn't want the car back so won't pay me for it, he just wants a set amount of money.
Anyway, I can insure the car with a few companies it asks me if the registered keeper is my husband, and he is and still will be for many more months. I'm not lying to them we are still married.
This will give me longer to decide what I want to do, does this sound ok to you?
I have also added my Mum and Dad onto my policy to bring the cost down, it saves me £80 bargain!!
Wendy
Anyway, I can insure the car with a few companies it asks me if the registered keeper is my husband, and he is and still will be for many more months. I'm not lying to them we are still married.
This will give me longer to decide what I want to do, does this sound ok to you?
I have also added my Mum and Dad onto my policy to bring the cost down, it saves me £80 bargain!!
Wendy
0
Comments
-
Perfectly possible to insure a vehicle you don't own - plenty of companies do just that with their lease hire vehicles.0
-
I insure my wife's car with her as a named driverNothing to see here, move along.0
-
I apologise in advance for being slightly off topic but this subject clicked my memory banks into action. Does anyone remember a film from way back (black and white, part of a series, "Corner of the Yard investigates", or something like that). This concerned a conmerchant who visited high class car dealers (Rollers, Bentleys etc.) on the pretext of buying one. While inspecting the magnificent engine, he made a note of the engine and chassis numbers and then went away to "think it over". He then insured the car. After a suitable period he reports the car has having been stolen and claims on the insurance. Apparently in those days the police used to look for stolen cars but they were unsuccessful (because they didn't look in car showrooms). This would obviously not work nowadays due to the infallible system that is the D.V.L.A. :rotfl:
British 1950s was a world leader.0 -
Most insurers will refuse to insure a car, if the person whom is asking for insurance is not the registered keeper of the car.
I have tried a few times in the past on line, they ask if you are the registered keeper, and once I ticked the box saying 'No' they requested me to call them, upon calling them a few stated they could not offer insurance unless you had just bought the car or were the registered keeper.0 -
Every insurance company has different rules and regs, some will insure grey imports, some won't. Some will insure a grey import with just the chassis number, some won't. Some will insure cars that don't belong to you, some will want it registered in your name, some won't, Lease cars seem to always be registered in a company name, not sure how insurance would work out, wether you would insure through the lease company as I have never leased a car like that, have rented them for use for work, but then the insurance was worked out by the company involved and my details placed on the insurance.
You may have more luck with the dayinsurance companies. I used one when I borrowed a car from a mate for a week, and I told them it wasn't mine and I wasn't the keeper, though I did tell them that my mate owned it, though the insurance cetr couldn't be used to tax it, that might be the reasoning for some insurance companies, to stop undesirables insuring a car just to get a tax disc, because their mate is on a ban or similiar, obviously this kind of scam wouldn't work in these days of ANPR.0 -
Every insurance company has different rules and regs, some will insure grey imports, some won't. Some will insure a grey import with just the chassis number, some won't. Some will insure cars that don't belong to you, some will want it registered in your name, some won't, Lease cars seem to always be registered in a company name, not sure how insurance would work out, wether you would insure through the lease company as I have never leased a car like that, have rented them for use for work, but then the insurance was worked out by the company involved and my details placed on the insurance.
You may have more luck with the dayinsurance companies. I used one when I borrowed a car from a mate for a week, and I told them it wasn't mine and I wasn't the keeper, though I did tell them that my mate owned it, though the insurance cetr couldn't be used to tax it, that might be the reasoning for some insurance companies, to stop undesirables insuring a car just to get a tax disc, because their mate is on a ban or similiar, obviously this kind of scam wouldn't work in these days of ANPR.
Your post is very hard to read, may be put some spaces in it
0 -
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards