Bathroom Refit

Options
Hi, had a couple of quotes to have bathroom gutted, new suite put in and tiled. Also to have a mixer shower fitted (so extra piping from taps as it's moving to other end of bath). Also to replace radiator with a heated towel rail. Includes removal of old suite/tiles. It's a small bathroom (2m x 2m ish).

First quote (from Rated People) came in at £2000 (1 week work)
Second one (husband of a colleague) came in at £1600 (they said 2 weeks work)
Both are two man teams.
Waiting for other quote to come back.

How reasonable do these sound? We will provide bathroom suite, towel radiator and tiles.

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    It's a small bathroom (2m x 2m ish).
    Wouldn't be that much different for 3 x 3 in reality.
    First quote (from Rated People) came in at £2000 (1 week work)
    Don't like those sites - they are just a means to make money out of the Contractor and the client. If £2k is inclusive of all required materials (except bath suite tiles, rad, cabinet etc) Then its in the right ballpark but I wouldn't trust the timescale. Its prolly iro a 2 week job for one man for similar costs BUT there is precious little room for two people to work flat out in a 2 x 2 bathroom.
    Second one (husband of a colleague) came in at £1600 (they said 2 weeks work)
    Timescale prolly right but seems a bit thin on labour for two guys for 2 weeks. I take it that this is exclusive of said materials?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Ali660
    Ali660 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP - What part of the country are you from? Not sure, but could make a difference when asking what people think of quotes.

I'm in the Midlands and am going through the same process as you, with a similar sounding size bathroom. A local independent bathroom store recommended a local plumber who oversees the project, bringing in the necessary manpower (electrician, plumber and tiler) for a set price of £1600 all in. Initially I thought this sounded a lot but I'm starting to think that's what I am going to be looking at paying.

Where are you looking for tiles/bathroom suite? It's a nightmare isn't it! I thought New Bathroom ... lovely! But choosing is really difficult!
  • star_bizarre
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in replying!

Ali, I'm in Norwich. Yeah at first I also thought £1600-£2000 was a lot but looks like that what it is! Choosing is a nightmare lol. Just going to go with bit white tiles on the walls, with maybe a mosaic border, and black tiles on the floor I think.

Keystone - I didn't think about the lack of room for 2 people to work, good point! Yes, the quotes are inclusive on materials like adhesive, grout etc. and exclusive of suite, radiator, shower etc.

Thanks for the advice.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    and black tiles on the floor I think.
    which will be great for showing all the water marks. ;)
    Yes, the quotes are inclusive on materials like adhesive, grout etc. and exclusive of suite, radiator, shower etc.
    Then I think the £ 1600 is very thin indeed for 2 men for two weeks and all materials. But if thats what they've quoted, exclusions are clearly stated, methodology for agreeing and pricing variations are covered, there's no scope for the "we guessed 10 days but our estimating is carp and its taken 20 so here's the extra bill" scenario, you get on with them, they've got good references and you've seen their work why not?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    I am going through this too and have posted a separate post if anyone could help... we are being charged roughly 1435 plus vat in Sussex. Is a lighter colour better on the floor? Was thinking a modern cream/natural slate look with vinyl as it's cheaper and warmer underfoot.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • thestens
    Options
    We have vinyl which looks like traditional black and white tiles ( if you don't look too closely!!!) and it is nice and warm to the feet and easy to clean. Also if you drop your pot of face cream, bottle of bubble bath etc on it there is no breakage - a consideration in an area where you will have bare feet!
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pretty much agree with everything Keystone said.

My bathroom was done around 3 years ago. 2 men and materials like tiles, suite, shower, screen etc all supplied. He supplied grout, plywood, piping, connections etc and it was £1350 or so. It took a week. For that price he also disposed of all the old suite.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure