Been ripped off yet again!

Options
We are in N London and house is a smaller semi-detached 4 bed.

My contractor charged me £1,150 to clear loft of rubble and mess,
lay down chipboard and install a hatch.

Breakdown:
Ladder & hatch 260.00
handle & rod 47.70
Chipboards 380.00
Nails 18.90
Labour 2 workers 2 days 460

I checked online - the ladder & hatch and handle & rod that he bought all come together in one pack. The cost is £112 incl Vat (and he probably bought it trade)!!
I don't know about the chipboard but imagine similarly overpriced.

Am I naive or is it DOWNRIGHT WRONG to charge 3 times over for the materials?

His figures put labour at 115 a day. For that price I got a mutilated hall ceiling around the hatch and a whole load of old planks left behind!

I'm sure I've been ripped off.

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    We are in N London and house is a smaller semi-detached 4 bed.

My contractor charged me £1,150 to clear loft of rubble and mess,
    lay down chipboard and install a hatch.

Breakdown:
    Ladder & hatch 260.00
    handle & rod 47.70
    Chipboards 380.00
    Nails 18.90
    Labour 2 workers 2 days 460

I checked online - the ladder & hatch and handle & rod that he bought all come together in one pack. The cost is £112 incl Vat (and he probably bought it trade)!!
    I don't know about the chipboard but imagine similarly overpriced.

Am I naive or is it DOWNRIGHT WRONG to charge 3 times over for the materials?

His figures put labour at 115 a day. For that price I got a mutilated hall ceiling around the hatch and a whole load of old planks left behind!

I'm sure I've been ripped off.

Good afternoon: did you not have a written quotation agreed to by you before the works commenced ?

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can only echo canucklehead, you should alwasy get 3 quotes and personal recommendations.

If you werent happy about the job, why did you pay him.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • spursfan323
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    I can only echo canucklehead, you should alwasy get 3 quotes and personal recommendations.

If you werent happy about the job, why did you pay him.

Haven't paid yet.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So how on earth was this job commissioned?
    Contractor said 'I'll do the job and then tell you how much it'll cost'?
    And you agreed?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So query the bill,try and negotiate a discount, tell him your not happy about the mutilated ceiling and get him to take the planks away.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • serverdog
    serverdog Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    That does seem a bit steep. I have just done my loft myself, and my timber for my loft cost me £300 which included raising the joists 200mm before boarding plus £15 for screws (I thought nails in the loft were a no-no). My loft is only 24 square metres. I bought a ladder online for £160 (concertina as we were limited for space) and installed it all by myself over 3 days.

I still have 7 loft boards and 1 joist, and about 200 screws left over though.
  • spursfan323
    Options
    So query the bill,try and negotiate a discount, tell him your not happy about the mutilated ceiling and get him to take the planks away.

Exactly what i have now done. However, the purpose of my OP was to discover if indeed the price he quoted is excessive or not. Theoretically, if the price he charged me was a bargain price, maybe i would feel less impelled to query the poor finish.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sadly, if you don't agree a price beforehand, very few traders are likely to come in at a bargain price. They'll assume that you have money to burn, and bill accordingly. Some will add 10%, and some will double it, as he appears to have done.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • dave82_2
    dave82_2 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Options
    Almost every bussiness in the land will mark up materials! Heck where I work we even mark up postage stamps!!

I am not saying it is right but it is very common practice. The only way to avoid overpaying is get the quote broken down into materials and labour beforehand and do your research then hagel them down!

It can be very difficult as I have recently found getting them to break the quote down!! Most tradesmen are not interested in doing paperwork!
  • Radsteral
    Radsteral Posts: 836 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

query the bill? why when the job is finished?
    maybe query the quality, as for the bill , if i was the builder i wouldnt stand for that !
    thing is not right ask him to redo it
    The guys says ''he s been ripped of yet again'' which mean he s been overcharged before.
    That, i would say the guy likes to neglect , and only wakes up when he has to pay!
    i wonder why the builder has completed the work and not a single penny collected anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure