Rented carpet cleaners vs professional carpet cleaners

Options
Me and all the ooobsters are moving into a new house soon, I want to get the carpets cleaned(in the new house-new to us that is) but as I am pregnant and Mr oob is away all week and will be doing all the manly things at the weekend(moving beds and sofa's etc) I plan to take the day off and hire a carpet cleaner(rug doctor??) but my friend doesn't think I will be able to use it as they are heavy.

I want to obviously do this the cheapest and most effective way....any ideas???
Oh....I'm not going to lie to you......At the end of the day, when alls said and done......do you know what I mean.........TIDY

Comments

• fruit-loop
    Options
    Hi oobedoo

Check out your local tool hire company, I work for one and we hire out karcher cleaners that are lighter than alot of hoovers.
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    In your situation I would get someone to do it for you.

Moving house is stressful, you need to keep as chilled as possible during the move, and having the hassle of carpet cleaning at the same time is something I personally would prefer to do without!
  • donna-j_2
    Options
    I once spend 7 hours doing my living room, hall and bedroom with a Rug Doctor machine. It was a nightmare.

Once I finished I went downstairs to the shop to get a drink. On the counter was a card for a cleaning company who would come out and do it for not much more than I'd paid to hire the machine plus all the detergent.

I was gutted.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a look in your local paper or wherever small businesses advertise in your area. My friend had 4 carpets and her suite cleaner for £60 and they did a great job.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • mummytomoo&roo
    Options
    I've just been cleaning my carpets with my Vax carpet cleaner.

We paid £150 last year to get carpets professionally cleaned in 3 rooms, and within a couple of months they were dirty again - trouble with having 2 kids and a big garden, they NEVER take their shoes off at the door, as you will no doubt find out!!!

Wasn't willing to pay out again so bought my own, think I got it in the sale on for £129!

So it might be worth investing in your own carpet cleaner as it will be cheaper in the long run and extremely handy when you have a baby or toddler making a mess and spilling things.

Brilliant for when baby starts to crawl around too because you know your carpet will be clean.

It's not as heavyweight as my old vacuum cleaner and using it is just like doing the regular hoovering. You do have to bend over though to unclip the bottom bit to tip the dirty water out but as long as you bend at your knees you'll have no probs.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Hope this helps.

Karen xx
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a Vax aswell, well worth it for me, saying that I don't tend to see it much as someone is always borrowing it lol
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure