PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you make Dahl?

Options

Comments

• Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    We loved the Tarka Dahl from the takeaway, and tried many ways to reproduce it at home, none was quite right till we got the right LENTILS!
    You need `Chana Dahl`- yellow lentils, found them in Tesco. Pre-soak them, either overnight or from morning till suppertime when you intend to cook them. It`s NOT fast food, but well worth the prep time!
    Finally, I can make this dish as good as (my folks say better, actually) than the local takeaway.
    Ghee, olive oil, or olive oil/buter mix, doesn`t really matter.
    Get the butter/oil hot but keep it low, add in a scoop of onion seeds - grind them first if you can, then loads of crushed garlic, keep it low, brown but not to burn the butter - wait till it smells lovely then put it into a big pan with your pre-soaked dahl and a dissolved stock cube (veg or chicken Knorr), stir it up and simmer till the dahl goes mushy. Add a load of fresh chopped coriander at the last minute. It really does taste like the gorgeous stuff our local takeaway used to do.
  • ladylouise62
    Options
    Further to "Emm-in-a-pickles" recipe, if you do forget to soak them the night before, I've done it from lunchtime but with some bicarb of soda in the water - it softens it slightly, allowing the water uptake... and apparently if added to the dish when cooking will also help with the, ahem, less social results of beans ;)
  • *Paris*
    *Paris* Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    I love dhal! This is the recipe I use from '330 Vegetarian Recipes for Health'

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp veg oil
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 carrot, diced
    2 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
    1 inch peice of fresh ginger, grated
    2 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp garam masala
    225g red split lentils
    400ml water
    400ml coconut milk
    5 chopped tomatoes
    juice of two fresh limes
    4 tbsp chopped coriander
    salt & pepper to season
    sprinkle of toasted almonds to serve

I usually serve this with naan bread. The recipe is for 4 people and takes about 1 hours cooking time.

Method:
    1. Heat the oil in a large pan, saute the onion for 5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, carrot, cumin and mustard seeds and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring until the seeds begin to pop and the carrot softens slightly.

2. Stir in the groung turmeric, chilli powder, and garam masala, and cook for 1 minute until the flavours begin to mingle, stirring to prevent thespices burning.

3. Add the lentils, water, coconut milk and tomatoes, and season. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the lentils sticking.

4. Stir in the lime juice and 3 tbsp of the coriander. Cook for a further 15 minutes until the lentils become soft and tender. To serve, sprinkle the remaining coriander and the toasted almonds.

5. Enjoy!
  • jennieshrew
    jennieshrew Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I made a rice and lentil dhal in the slow cooker. Have tried feeding it to the kids but even the three year old has turned his nose up. It is tasteless. Tastes of too much turmeric and not a lot else. Has onions, chilli powder, cardamon, cloves and cumin in it but tasteless! Please help me rescue it!! What can I add quickly.
    :A
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Problem is Turmeric is a very hard spice to hide if you over did it,you could try a garam masala or teaspoonful of curry paste.
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    Something with tomato in it - sauce, ketchup, tinned, puree, etc plus a pinch of sugar
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • jennieshrew
    jennieshrew Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Miracle! That's done it. I added a spoonful of harissa, a tin of tomatoes and some sugar. Yummy again. Thanks!! Hopefully DH will like it.

:j:j:j
    :A
  • FelinePrincess
    FelinePrincess Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    I see the problem has already been solved but for future reference, the way to add flavour to dhal is.. (taken from Madhur Jaffrey recipe book)

Just before serving heat 3 tbs vegetable oil in 4-5inch frying pan over medium-high heat. When very hot, put in a pinch of ground asafetida and 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds. As soon as the asafetida begins to sizzle and expand, and the cumin seeds darken pour the contents of frying pan over lentils and stir.

HTH someone :)
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my lentil dhal i tried to make once was the same. didnt use asefoewhatsit but the ones in the local restaurant/takeaway seem to be creamier and more flavourful.. more garlic???
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    jennieshrew,You might like to try Mamta's recipy for the same dish;

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10041
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income