war pension - government review?

Options
Hi everyone.

Like most people on benefit I'm concerned about how the government are going to be reviewing everyone. And whilst people often say, "If you're genuine you have no need to worry". I'm afraid I don't believe this for a second and I'm getting very stressed about it all - mainly because I totally lost all faith in doctors years ago who merely fobbed me off with over the counter medicines so just stopped going. Stupidly really as I've been in terrible pain since. But now I've built up such a fear, phobia and frankly loathing of all this medical. This means I'm dreading going for the 'medical review' as they'll probably say, "you've not seen a doctor in ages, you must be fine". Reality is I can't remember a day I've not had pain, and now depression.

I'm also worried about the War Pension. Is this going to be reviewed too. Has anyone been for a review for either their War Pension or Incapacity Benefit. It's the knock on effect of being taken off either benefit that is really worrying. Being forced to take a job that I may not be able to do etc. And my health being made worse by trying to do whatever job they tell me. I'm so depressed now with the pain, I dread to think of what may happen in the future.

Comments

• pac100575
    pac100575 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    hey ive just had mine reviewed and got an increase but i had my dla reviewed as well and i lost that because the atos dr lied on my medical forms but they best bits to come the same dr did my army medical as well lol
  • cagneyfan
    cagneyfan Posts: 378 Forumite
    Options
    pac100575 wrote: »
    hey ive just had mine reviewed and got an increase but i had my dla reviewed as well and i lost that because the atos dr lied on my medical forms but they best bits to come the same dr did my army medical as well lol

Hi, I'm curious how you get dla and war pension. Do you also receive mobility allowance with your war pension? I receive a war pension/mobility supplement, but was told years ago that I would not be able to receive dla if I get mobility with my war pension.

I've never queried it as I'm always worried in case I end up losing what I already had
  • Tally-Ho_2
    Tally-Ho_2 Posts: 369 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2010 at 8:26PM
    Options
    Hi CagneyFan,

If you receive War Pensioners Mobility Supplement (WPMS) you cannot receive a mobility component of DLA, but for example you could claim the Care component of DLA (unless you also receive War Pensioners Constant Attendance Allowance).

A lot of War Pensioners have not got a high enough War Pension percentage to claim WPMS (ie 40% Disability) so claim DLA Mobility (also DLA care if not getting a high enough percentage for Constant Attendance Allowance ie 80% War Pension).

Obviously anyone claiming under the 'new' Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) can also claim DLA as there are no War Pension Supplementary Allowances paid under AFCS.

Tally
  • cagneyfan
    edited 11 August 2010 at 1:14PM
    Options
    Hi Tally-Ho,

Thanks for your reply. I find it all very confusing. Whenever I get any leaflets regarding War Pensions and the different things you may or may not qualify for I just end up binning it!

I wonder if you could help regarding a comment you made:

'A lot of War Pensioners have not got a high enough War Pension percentage to claim WPMS (ie 40% Disability)'.

Well I receive a War Pension at 30% and the mobility supplement. I'm assuming it's because I got this in the late 80's and obviously the level has since been increased. Does that mean I'm still entitled to the mobility element or should I be worried! Secondly, if I get it because the level of percentage was lower then - does this mean that I may be able to qualify for some of the things in the leaflets that claim you need 40% and the mobility element? I'm very confused, but then it doesn't take much!
  • Tally-Ho_2
    edited 11 August 2010 at 2:04PM
    Options
    cagneyfan wrote: »
    Hi Tally-Ho,

Thanks for your reply. I find it all very confusing. Whenever I get any leaflets regarding War Pensions and the different things you may or may not qualify for I just end up binning it!

I wonder if you could help regarding a comment you made:

'A lot of War Pensioners have not got a high enough War Pension percentage to claim WPMS (ie 40% Disability)'.

Well I receive a War Pension at 30% and the mobility supplement. I'm assuming it's because I got this in the late 80's and obviously the level has since been increased. Does that mean I'm still entitled to the mobility element or should I be worried! Secondly, if I get it because the level of percentage was lower then - does this mean that I may be able to qualify for some of the things in the leaflets that claim you need 40% and the mobility element? I'm very confused, but then it doesn't take much!

Hi,

Yes, in the late 80's (or it could have been the early 90's) the 'qualification award' for WPMS increased from 30% to 40% disability. However as you qualified at the old rate, that is what applies to you and providing you continue to qualify (ie your disability doesn't improve) you will still receive WPMS so do not worry.

However should you lose your WPMS for whatever reason you could have to 'requalify' for it at the 40% rate (as applies nowadays) however do seek advice from such as the British Legion in the (very) unlikely event of that happening and get an appeal lodged asap - however I must emphasise that situation is very very rare.

Regarding the qualification for other Supplementary Allowances there have been many changes over the years, far too many to recall what changed and when. From memory, for an award of Unemployability Supplement it used to be 20% (now 60%). The Allowance for Lowered Standard of Occupation (ALSO) was virtually nil percent (hence there are some War Pensioners who only receive ALSO but no actual War Pension) it is now 40%. Sadly if you applied now, you would have to 'qualify' under current rules, where a minimum of 40% is required for any Supplementary Allowance.

The latest change by the way was last April where ALSO and Incapacity Benefit or ALSO and Employment and Support Allowance can no longer be paid at the same time (unless one was already receiving ALSO and IB/ESA in April 2009 in which case they can continue to receive both ALSO and IB/ESA). However should they lose ALSO at some point, they cannot claim IB/ESA and ALSO together in the future.

Confusing - you bet!!!

Tally
  • cagneyfan
    Options
    Hi again Tally-Ho,

Goodness me, no wonder people are often told they are missing out on certain benefits. How on earth us mere mortals are meant to understand what they can and cannot claim!

You must either work in one of these departments or are one of the few people who can decipher all the jargon. I usually give up as soon as something is abbreiviated (ALSO for eg) as I have to keep checking what it means!!

I think most people are reluctant to apply for anything in case it goes the other way (as happened to a friend of mine years ago, who had her disability travel pass taken back as she was epileptic and hadn't fitted during a certain period of time).

It seems the over 60's can get good advice from age concern etc, but people under that can find it a bit of a problem finding out stuff before applying for said benefit.
  • pac100575
    Options
    sorry i didnt reply straight away been ill , my injury was at 30% so not entitled as im on the new rules of war pension lol but since entitlement was upped to 40 % i can now claim wpms plus lower standard of occupation and i have to say im happy to give up entitlment to essa as on get 13 a fortnight
  • pac100575
    Options
    www.veterans-uk.info very good site
  • Tally-Ho_2
    Options
    cagneyfan wrote: »
    Hi again Tally-Ho,

Goodness me, no wonder people are often told they are missing out on certain benefits. How on earth us mere mortals are meant to understand what they can and cannot claim!

You must either work in one of these departments or are one of the few people who can decipher all the jargon. I usually give up as soon as something is abbreiviated (ALSO for eg) as I have to keep checking what it means!!

I think most people are reluctant to apply for anything in case it goes the other way (as happened to a friend of mine years ago, who had her disability travel pass taken back as she was epileptic and hadn't fitted during a certain period of time).

It seems the over 60's can get good advice from age concern etc, but people under that can find it a bit of a problem finding out stuff before applying for said benefit.

Hi Cagneyfan,

Yes, beng ex military myself I do voluntary work for an ex service organisation as a Case Officer which is where I was trained in such as Veterans Benefits. My brother who is a War Pensioner himself also is a Case Officer for another ex-service organisation and sits on a regional War Pensions Committee, so we often 'compare notes' to keep upto date with things. The main problems are veterans not knowing what they can and cannot claim, as well as keeping up to date with ever changing relevant legislation.

'ALSO' is the common abbreviation for Allowance for Lowered Standard of Occupation.

If you want some help to ensure you are claiming all you are entitled to, either contact the Veterans Welfare Service (they have Welfare Managers throughout the UK) via 0800 169 2277 or via the Veterans UK info site Pac mentions above, or contact your local branch of SSAFA or The Royal British Legion, or if applicable Blesma, RAFA etc, all of which should be able to help you.

Tally
  • fredsnail
    fredsnail Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apologies for hijacking this thread - my Grandad gets war pension and he was last reviewed in the 90's. Since then his health has deteriorated significantly - is it worth asking for a review (we have POA for him)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure