PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What do I look for when choosing an estate agent?

Options
I am a first time seller and today had three local estate agents around to get valuations. All gave exactly the same price and pretty much the same spiel and so I am finding it really hard to choose which to represent me.

First guy was an older guy who was really nice. His daughters went to my old school and he is local to the village, runs the local business group organising village fairs etc and knows lots of the local people. He was very nice and spent a lot of time going through stuff, but didn't follow up the meeting with any information or anything. He charged £110 for the EPC.

Second guy, was again nice, but came across as a car salesman. He actually said "what can I do to make you sign with us today?" I laughed and said, you should be telling me what you can do, I have no idea what you can do!
He had really good brochures, but I am only selling a one bed flat and dont think I have enough information to fill three pages of their glossy brochure. He showed me a £600 K house with 8 rooms which looked great but dont think mine would fill that much. Also on right move their write ups are like two lines long with more information be provided when you contact the estate agent.
However, he did follow up after the meeting with a good email about what they would provide and how they can help.
He charged £50 for EPC.

Last guy was the original estate agent I bought the flat from three years ago. He was only in the property for 10 minutes, but again was good, altough he said he would beat any commission percentage of any estate agent which made me think he was just desparate for the business. He followed up the meeting with a hand delivered letter and brochure confirming what had been discussed.
He wanted to charge £75 for the EPC.

I think its a toss up between the first guy and the last guy, as I just dont think the second guy came across as professional enough. I am leaning towards the first guy, but bit concerned as to why the EPC is so expensive compared to the others.
They all pretty much said the same things in the end.

So, sorry for length, but how did you choose your estate agent? I just cant decide.

Comments

• thunderbird
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has replied to this yet...

I'm no expert, but will give my opinion. You can get your EPC elsewhere, so don't base your decision on the costs of that.

Firstly I would look at agents that seem to be selling successfully in my area and sell similar priced properties to mine.

Then I'd think about where their offices are and which areas they cover. Also, what their opening hours are and what times they can do viewings.

Then have a look at their website, the local paper ads and, most importantly, Rightmove to see how they present their properties. Personally I like to see clear pictures of most rooms and the garden. Room sizes and a floor plan.

Then I'd get them round to view and value the house. Interrogate them and get a gut feeling for which I'd feel happiest dealing with.

There is also the quite important detail of their charges. I've been quoted between 1.25% and 2% from different agents, which is a big difference.

Good luck! :D
  • adg1
    adg1 Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    Look around your local area and see who has the most 'Sold' boards up. Not 'For Sale' but 'Sold' as this will give you an indication of how successful they are at selling rather than just closing on an instruction.

Also, why not register as a buyer with each yourself and see how you are treated? As you, as a buyer, would not be paying them a fee of any kind you'll be able to pick up a lot of information which otherwise you'd not find out.

It strikes me that EA2 will have a few for sale boards, and not many sold ones, EA1 will know the right people to give your house the best shot and EA3 was desperate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure