No Credit Card Please!

Options
Hi All
My daughter is going to uni' in Sept/Oct.

She wants a Student Account WITHOUT the facility of a credit card, although she does want a debit card.

She has tried the bank which she has had an account with since primary school but has been informed that she can't have a Student Account unless she takes out the credit card :-/ Doesn't make sense to me or am I missing something?

All help gratefully received. :)

Comments

• Chester_Draws
    Options
    No, you are not missing something, but they are.

Take the deal that offers the best perk, such as the free Rail Card from HSBC, and take the free credit card as well ............. THEN:

cccut.jpg
    Bad Spellers of the world untie
  • Kev_3-2
    Options
    I opened a HSBC student account last year and there was no pressure for me to have a credit card. I just declined. It's not compulsory.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just opened an account with HSBC, and they offerred me a credit card but I didn't have to take it. There's also no fee if you don't use it.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Crescendo_2
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I really appreciate all your help, as I sure my daughter will too.

Looks like HSBC wins hands down.

Thanks a'lot

Crescendo
  • jackbremer
    jackbremer Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a Natwest Student Account, they offered CC and I declined.

The nice thing about a bank's CC is that on your online banking, all account show up together on teh one screen, allowing easy transfers between them.

I figured far better was to go for CCs with cool freebies (I got a nie £70 watch from MBNA), and then set them all up for Driect Debit. To this day, I have had several CC's and never paid a penny in interest in 5 years!
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Options
    yeah I have hsbc and I didn't have to take the card.. I did though and it's direct debited :)
  • jackbremer
    Options
    jackbremer wrote:
    To this day, I have had several CC's and never paid a penny in interest in 5 years!

I'd like to revise that. Interest hurts.
  • jr666
    jr666 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Whats wrong with having a student credit card? I think all students should have one for emergencys. I'm thankful for mine when i lost my wallet, but not my credit card (for some reason that was in my bag not my pocket) and was able to buy myself a train ticket home (i was in london at the time). Dont cut the card up as soon as you get it, just keep it with you and use it if you need it.
    Come to my garden in South Bucks and i'll find you a wasp...
  • Darksun
    Darksun Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    jr666 wrote:
    Whats wrong with having a student credit card?

For some the temptation to use it might be too much. Much better to make use of overdrafts and other sources than the horribly high interest credit cards.
  • Karnam
    Karnam Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    Options
    the student cc is often the first chance people get to build credit. there are tons of horror stories about careful people who never built up credit when they were younger and now cant get a morgage! remember no credit history = bad credit history
    :A Boots Tart :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport