Shopgirls Guide to Saving!

Options
shopgirl6035
shopgirl6035 Posts: 56 Forumite
edited 10 August 2010 at 4:05AM in Debt free diaries
As I cluttered up many other diaries and threads, taking them over with my own storeis, it was about time I stepped up and began my own thread. So here goes...

A bit about me.
Im a 23 year old, who has a 'slight' shopping addiction, 1x bf and 1x puppy named Archie- and I forgot to mention that I have a VERY large shopping addicition.

So Im thinking that waiting until a new year starts to get my habits sorted out, that I would just start now trying to curb my spending and setting goals and targets, in time for the start of 2011.

Goals & Targets.
- August Save $1000 and $200 in holiday account
- September Save $1000 minimum and another $200 in holiday account
- October Save $1000 minimum and another $200 in holiday
- November Save minimum $1100 and $100 into an account for Christmas
- December Save minimum $1100 and $100 for christmas presents

- By end of 2010 Have total savings of $9,000
- No credit card, Pay off and cancel ($500)
- Have under $10,000 owing on my Car Loan, Should be paid off Dec 2013. (aug 2010, have now increased payments to be paid off by July 2012)
- Have a budget and plan that is working for me!!!

Things I will try not to do.
- Stop buying lunches at work, bring lunch to work
- Stop over buying and spending at supermarket, and popping in to get one item and getting about 8 things.
- STOP BUYING CLOTHES.
- Have at least 14 No Spend Days a month.

God that sounds like so much, although Iam motivated! Just thinking that about 2 years ago I was saying and planning these exact things, save more, stop shopping and everything, but look Im back to where it all started.

Next pay day is the 13th of August. 7 days away. I currently have $25 in my purse, can I make it the full 7 days and have money still left. First challenge is to get through this weekend. Wish me luck on my journey and new beginings.
x
AIMING: Debt Free Date 15th JULY 2012
Car Loan: 9000/ 7900
Credit Card: 6500/ 5850
Canada Trip: 8000/ 7100
TOTAL: 23,500/20,850

Comments

• clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    hi :hello:

your diary sounds like it is about me lol! for years i have tried to cut out unnecessary spending and not succeeded! biggest problem for me is that i am a shoe and dress addict :eek: lol have pretty clothes but nowhere to wear them!

the lunch thing is really good, i am doing that atm, just started last week. is terrible when you add up how much a few £ a day on lunch is! (could buy a dress from tesco every week instead :rotfl:)

would also recommend giving yourself a 'budget' each week in cash and only spending that (leave cards at home if you lack willpower lol). you will ber excellent at this after surving off your $25! i currently have £9.43 in my purse and would like to make that last until next friday!

good luck, i will pop in and see how you are getting on :)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Making lunches is a really good idea! One of the girls I work with was moaning that she spends all her pay, and I worked out over 10 weeks she'd spent almost 200 quid ($300?) on lunches(just a cheap baguette and bag of crisps), where as I had homemade salads and fruit for less than a pound per day. Big bigggg difference- 150.00!

I really need to cut out all those little spends too (buying 8 things at the shop when you need one, and buying tonnes of stuff/clothes because they're on sale) :( Last year I spent almost a grand on things I didn't really need, and I don't want to do that again when I move out again at the end of the month.
    I'm making an inventory and refreshing my memory of all the clothes and toiletries I have so when I think I need something new, I can see that I've probably already got five equivalent products... I definitely recommend that :) Do it with your food cupboard too and work through all the food you have lying around.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • shopgirl6035
    Options
    Yay, others who are exactly like me. I feel a bit better.

So its Monday Morning, and my purse currently has about $18 in it. I went out Fri and Sat Night, although drove so I didnt spend much, yet still have a life.

I have 5 days to get through on this budget of $18 from my purse.
    - Mon: Tonight normally have netty, but will have the night off and catch up on all the washing and cleaning, take the dog for a beach walk
    - Tues: Another relaxing night at home. Might de-clutter a bit more throughout our house.
    - Wed: Netball Training and Coaching
    - Thurs: Netball Training and Coaching.
    - Fri: Watch friends play netball
    - Sat: 21st
    - Sun: House warming.

So after reviewing and writing up my week plans, it seems Number 1 iam addicted to netball and Number 2, I should really take my dog for more walks.

Ps. Forgot to mention that the $12 that I spent from the weekend was on a pair of shoes hehehe Black open toe, velvet type, wedge shoes. AMAZINGGGG.

Also I feel a new leaf to turn over, yesterday another set of friends who are a couple got engaged, Iam so happy for them, yet soooo jealous, only been together half as long as BF and I. So although feel a little depressed, this may also help me focus on saving and being a bit more mindful and look towards future.

Have a few boxes to tick off of my goals until the end of the year. Wish me luck for the week
    x
  • shopgirl6035
    Options
    Credit Card paid off!!! Yeoooooooooooooooow
  • tlb2408
    tlb2408 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Wow love this thread already I buy soooooooo much stuff it's silly and got myself in a right mess which I can now get myself out of thanks to early inheritance but feel sick as could of had some nice savings if I'd not been stupid in the past and worried that because I've just been bailed out really not had to work for it then I might get into debt again!!!

I've got a credit card on a fixed rate for life which I could pay off but worried I'll forget what a state I got into and go spending again but also worried I'll just fritter the money away if I don't pay it off!!!!!!!

I will think of some goals and post here!!!! Currently awake due to baby teething so not functioning properly!!!!
  • shopgirl6035
    Options
    Definitely post your goals and targets, and I will help you through.

I have just been thinking of the amount of money from my paypal account from all my ebay selling and how much of it I have wasted and it could have helped me get over the 3000k mark. Damn it.

My purchases in the last month
    - White Story by Tang Dress. Beautiful White Silk Dress, Cocktail style with this cut-out V Back, its amazing, fell in love with $190
    - Maurie and Eve Black and Gold Sequin Tunic Dress, amazing for nights on the town, and can wear this weekend to a birthday, $90
    - Amazing Black Open Toe Wedge Velvet Shoes $20, AMAZING and already worn and in love with. Beautiful.
    - Bathers, in a Coral Colour (for my holiday) and This Awesome ASOS.com Fedora Black hat, Nicole Richie style. $85

Total $385 on clothing and accessories. Am I kidding myself, I have a real problem.
    So as mentioned, payday is in not 4 days (friday) as of then. NO MORE PURCHASES until I go to Bali in October. Someone please hold me to this!!!

Goodluck TLB and the sooner you post some goals, the sooner I can get stuck into you about your splurges, and I hope you do the same for me. Goodluck with the teeth (I cant relate with a baby, but do have a puppy dropping teeth all over the floor and chewing on my arm) hehehe

x
  • shopgirl6035
    Options
    So yesterday I was naughty and purchased my lunch, although a total of $4 isnt much (i think its like 1.5 pounds??) on a subway sandwich.

Although today, I brought my yummy pasta leftovers as my lunch, and will cook up a storm again tonight and bring in extra.

So Iam happy to say that today is a No Spend Day! (but halfway in, so anything could happen). I have $10 in my purse and another $20 put aside to get petrol for the rest of the week. I may make it, yay.

Tonight- Cook up a storm, and clean house, wash clothes
    Wed- Netty Training (keep me out of trouble)
    Thurs- Netty Training again (again kept out of trouble)
    Fri- Watching State League Competition (in finals so great to watch)
    Sat- Coach and Play sport until 5pm- then have a 21st, and can you believe, I think I have an outfit in my wardrobe that will sufice for the occasion... thats a first, although my mind can change and a quick pop down to the shops can happen, especially seems as pay day is looming on friday and a whole weekend to have restraining order on Westfield Shoping Centre.

So I have a plan of attack for Pay Day and the coming weeks...reminder this is monthly...
    Fri pay day: $3200
    - Rent 600
    - Food 350
    - Mobile 100
    - Car 700 (this incs putting away for tyres, rego etc)
    - Petrol 120
    - Savings 1010
    - Holiday 200
    - Entertainment 120 ($30 per week to survive!!!)

Also my Tax Return: $1800 (which will be here this or next week)
    - $1000 Holiday (Bali spending money)
    - $700 Savings Account
    - $100 Pay a few Netball commitments (fundraisers and dinners etc)

With these additional saving opportunities, I should tip over the $4000 mark of saving! Which means I will have saved 16% of my total.

Do you think I should physically take out my Food Shopping money for the month and my petrol and put that away in evelopes or what-not so its put away and then take out $30 a week or the whole amount, and never have my card on me so I can not access or spend??? Im thinking this might be an option, and such a good one.

Ps. I will now spend the rest of my day, instead of looking on asos.com and sportsgirl websites, I will plan next week and the amount of no spend days and planning things on the days, including meal plans.

Look forward to your thoughts.
    x
  • shopgirl6035
    Options
    alright another update for today!

increased my car payments from $460 to $550 per month. Which means I will have this 20k debt paid off in July 2012, exactly when my aim and challenge has been set too.
    Then I will have a house deposit saved, as well as completely no debt at all!!!

A wine is in order tonight! Yay
    x
  • lizguil
    lizguil Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Morning! Hope you don't mind me contributing... :)

I wondered if you had a local dress agency or similar that you could use to help with the shopping urges? If it's too much to stop spending altogether this might be a good middle ground.

From what you've said you like fab evening / going out dresses but I bet that even with a wardrobe to die for there are a couple of bits you wouldn't be sad to let go. A dress agency might let you swap or exchange with a small additional fee for something new and even more fantastic?

Good luck with what you're doing. You sound as though you're in control so look forward to reading more! LG x
  • shopgirl6035
    Options
    liz guil, contribute all you want, I need the help, and I appreciate chatting to others not just talking to myself hehe.

You mention a dress agency, what in the world is this? Never even heard of it. Keeping in mind that I live in Australia, and we are pretty behind in the times and have not heard about these.

3 days until pay day and hopefully get my $1800 tax back. I have already spent my payday and also my tax in my head. As soon as I get paid on friday, its now wednesday, i will be paying my bills and organising and puttings away my savings straight away. So my no spend days start on Saturday. Iam actually looking forward to it, and even if its not a NSD, hopefully I can stick to my $30 weekly challenges.

Iam positive about it all and anticipation is killing me. Iam going to be wise with my money! x

Ps. I may have accidentally purchased a bag and bodysuit on asos.com. Although used ebay money in paypal that I had made. Iam a bad bad girl. Can I block websites from my home computer and work? as whilst iam sitting there sipping on my coffee its so easy to computer shop and purchase, and i never see the money, so its like its free hehehe.

Another day down, another day closer to pay day
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing