PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

When should a buyer reasonably expect property to be taken off the market?

Options
2»

Comments

• FTBFun
    FTBFun Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    Options
    Nanao wrote: »

Although in my case it was actually the survey being booked that was required, not necessarily carried out.

I would just get on with it as soon as possible!
  • Nanao_2
    Nanao_2 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FTBFun wrote: »
    Although in my case it was actually the survey being booked that was required, not necessarily carried out.

I would just get on with it as soon as possible!

Oops, sorry! :o

Yes I agree, don't delay - get things moving as soon as possible.
  • betmunch
    betmunch Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    Options
    I would say that a condition of your offer is that the house is off the market and no more viewings are to be done.

From reading your previous post I think you will find the EA wants to keep the property on the market as long as posible to give them a chance of selling it to someone who WILL use their in house services.

The person that makes the decision on whether the house stays on the market or not is the vendor, not the EA. However the vendors can be easily led by the EA so its a very difficult situation.

Do you know when the survey will be booked? Sometimes its not until the Mortgage application is fully underwritten, sometimes its immediate.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    jozbo wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused with the order that things run -
    If you make an offer and have it accepted, do you have to wait until your mortgage is sorted (my bank said 4-8 weeks) before you can book the survey (via them)?
    Or do they do the survey before they have agreed to lend?
    OR is this why it's best to go with an independent surveyor as they will do it ahead of the mortgage being agreed and so the property can be taken off the market sooner
    ?

Jozbo, the bank will need the house to be valued by a surveyor before they will make the formal mortgage offer. You'll have to pay for the valuation so it shows some commitment on your part to buying the house. The bank will only insist on a basic valuation but you can "top it up" to get a more detailed report, if you want to use their surveyor, or instruct an independent surveyor to do one of the more detailed surveys. If you are going with an independent surveyor, you can instruct him before the mortgage company arrange the valuation, or instruct him while the mortgage company are deliberating over their valuer's report, or once you have had the formal mortgage offer (at the end of the 4-8 weeks suggested by your bank - they don't always take this long though. Mine came back in less than a week for 1st house and about 3 weeks for 2nd house after 1st was taken off the market).

It depends how confident you are about the mortgage being agreed as to when you commit yourself to extra money if you are going with an independent surveyor.

If you top up the basic valution with the lender's surveyor, you can't control when he is instructed but you can pester your lender until they do it to speed things up.
  • farmerboy
    farmerboy Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a vendor, we are not willing to put the STC board on until the survey has been done and the price agreed. We know ths may put some people off, but if a property has the STC board up and down alot then it can have a detrimental effect.

After the survey has been agreed the rest is mainly formalities, but problems with the survey can lead to the offer being reduced/withdrawn.

It also relies on trust by both parties. As for EA's promises, didn't think they existed
  • colli
    colli Posts: 669 Forumite
    Options
    By the time our survey had been done we'd already paid out over £1,000 on various fees, searches etc. It may not seem a lot to some people but as FTB's who'd scrimped and saved for years to get a deposit together to then lose this amount would have been absolutely devestating.

If the vendor had not agreed to remove the house from the market we would not have proceeded with the purchase. The fact they did so helped to reassure us that they were as serious about selling as we were about buying. I emailed the estate agent 2/3 times a week whilst every thing was going through to keep everyone in the loop about our progress and it seemed to work well.
  • moneysavingplumber
    Options
    betmunch wrote: »
    I would say that a condition of your offer is that the house is off the market and no more viewings are to be done.

From reading your previous post I think you will find the EA wants to keep the property on the market as long as posible to give them a chance of selling it to someone who WILL use their in house services.

The person that makes the decision on whether the house stays on the market or not is the vendor, not the EA. However the vendors can be easily led by the EA so its a very difficult situation.

Do you know when the survey will be booked? Sometimes its not until the Mortgage application is fully underwritten, sometimes its immediate.

Thanks betmunch, and thanks everybody for replies.

All's sorted, had a few tear-ups here and there, the good news is that the survey is booked in for Monday and the property has indeed been taken off of the market. Ultimately, we took an informed decision on balance and did agree to use their conveyancing solicitors, but I threatened to go elsewhere if they didn't honour our original agreement to take the property off, which we know would suit the vendors as they'd already told us that they were sick of the viewings after over twenty in the first few days it was on the market.

Fingers crossed for the survey and searches now. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport