do lenders see more than just the credit report?

Options
hi huys
tried to get a phone contract the other day. guy in the shop says i was a victim of impersonation... looked on my credit report but it doesnt show anything of the sort on the cifas section... and refused me the contract
do the lenders (orange phones credit checker) see more than the credit report i got off equifax? where did the guy get the idea i was a victim of fraud?

thank you

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 August 2010 at 10:19PM
    Options
    do the lenders (orange phones credit checker) see more than the credit report i got off equifax?
    No. In fact they can see a lot less than you can see, eg they can't see financial associate searches, lenders names, unrecorded enquiries, etc.

Edited to add: The above relates to the CRA information. Thanks to Tixy for pointing out below that there are other 'agencies'.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    They might have searched cifas and national hunter database - have a read of this - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score#fraud
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • peterpieper123
    Options
    Tixy wrote: »
    They might have searched cifas and national hunter database - have a read of this -
    ye but the cifas and nat hunters are included on the cifas part of my report aint they? theres none reported on mine :S
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    National hunter certainly won't be. That records the info you have entered for past applications to see if there are any inconsistencies. In the case of cifas i'm not sure if cifas might show them more info than in on your credit file - that link would appear to suggest not but i am not certain.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • crispy_chris
    Options
    When I used to check peoples credit reports the basic CIFAS info it gave was which category the loading was for and when it was applied.
    Then when you log into the CIFAS system itself you could get the full information which the other lending institution has added (name/dob/account details/type of fraud/result of the fraud/police reference/false data provided and so on and so forth).

[edit for clarity: but if there is nothing on your credit file there won't be anything on the CIFAS systems either]
  • peterpieper123
    Options
    is it worth sending off £10 to the national hunters to see if im on their records?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure