I won’t earn enough money to pay my rent/council tax.

Options
I have been off work for some time now and I am hoping that my doctor will say its ok for me to do some light part time work maybe 2 or 3 days a week. The biggest problem with this is I won’t earn enough money to pay my rent/council tax. What are the rules is there any help.

Thanks

Comments

• SammyPops
    Options
    Are you claiming incapacity benefit?

If so, try the jobcentre. There is a lot of help for sick people going back to work. If you have been off for a long time, you can see a special advisor who will explain all your options and help you find work.

If you will be working over 16 hours, you could probably claim Working Tax Credit, assuming there is just your income coming into the house.

There is also a scheme where your incapacity can be frozen. If you went back to work and found it was too much, you can restart the original incapacity claim again, rather than have to reapply as a new claim.
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also contact your local council - or even better look on line. Think you can apply on line for Housing Benefit and Council tax relief.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Cupcake_4
    Options
    If you are claiming incapacity, then the rules, untill the new ones go through, say you can NOT work at all, not even volountry. You cannot claim incapacity and still be fit enough to work for a few hours a week

If your gp says you are fit to work and you wish to claim JSA, they will force you into taking a job, even if you know yourself you wont be able to manage it.

However you can get an appointment with the disability advisor who will assess you and amend your records as to what work and what hours you are suitable for. Seeing them ensures you are placed in a workplace that is suitable to you and your needs (one or two days light work) and they also help you sort out any benefits you are entitled to.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    In order of importance, your 1st priority when working out your budget IS rent/council tax! May sound harsh, but, you have to have somewhere to live and that MUST take priority over any other spending.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Details of all applicable benefits can be found from the Disability Alliance Benefit Checklist

You can find further details at the DWP BENEFITS WEBSITE

Information about the Personal Capability Assessment which will underpin the claiming of benefits while too ill to work full time can be found at the Benefits and Work website

The conditions for working while claiming Incapacity Benefit are somewhat complex and I suggest those who feel it appropriate read the guide here before making further postsGuide s to working while on benefits including IB Permitted work provisions

Someone totally ignorant of the Welfare Benefit system would be best advised to get help from their local Welfare Rights Provider see the Benefitsand Work Guide to Getting Help with your Benefits
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family